Chapter 32

The next morning Dad had gone out with Morgan and I found Carl sitting on the steps holding Judith. "Morning." I whispered sitting down on the steps. Carl nodded, handing me a piece of an apple. "How you feeling?" I shrugged, "better, thanks for last night." He nudged me, "isn't that what a brothers for?" I looked over to the gate as it opened, and watched Dad, Morgan and Ron walk in. "What is happening?" I asked Carl. He shrugged glaring at Ron, "asshole probably tried to run away." I scoffed, "he wouldn't last a day."

Glenn walked by with Daryl a few minutes later, "you guys not coming to the meeting?" Carl shrugged, "didn't know there was one." I bit my lip, "if it's anything like last nights I'll pass." Glenn nodded, "I think it's safe." I stood up, "I'll just check it out then come right back." Carl looked at me, "are you sure? Dad probably wants you here, I'm sure you're in enough trouble for sneaking out last night." I rolled my eyes, "that's nothing new I'm always in trouble." Daryl sighed, "fine, but so we're clear it was your idea to come."

We walked to Deanas house and dad met us at the door. "What are you doing here?" I looked around, "I heard there was a meeting." Dad nodded at Glenn and Daryl then pulled me aside. "I need you to just take it easy. This meeting is nothing that concerns you, go home and stay there please." I sighed, "I'm old enough, haven't I shown you that? I've seen so many things and I've done things to protect myself since day one that should've have shown you that. Why don't you trust me?" He put his arm on my shoulder, "I do trust you and you are one of the strongest kids here. But you can't keep going at this rate. Just the adults are going to talk, we're just making a plan that's all nothing to worry about." I nodded, "at least tell me what it's about." He sighed, "leading a herd away, that's it. I don't want you involved in the plan or the execution. I want you to take a break." I nodded, "why did you come back with Ron today?" Dad looked at me, "he just wanted to see where his father was buried, followed us out. Now look, what you saw last night, you weren't meant to see and I'm very sorry you did. I want you to be honest with me, are you alright?"

I stepped forward putting my arms around him, "I'm fine." I heard him take a deep breath, "I did what I had to do with Pete." I nodded as he squeezed me back, "I know you did." As he let go he put a hand on my shoulder, "go home hang out with Carl and if you want to talk later about anything I'll be home." I turned away, "see you dad."

Carl and Judith were now sitting inside the house passing around a toy ball. I sat down joining in on the game. An hour later I heard the door open. "Kids." Dad said. "In here." Carl answered. He entered the living room, "we're going on a test run. Be back later alright?" I stood up giving him a hug, and Carl did the same. "I love you both. Look after Judith." I turned to look at the smiling baby, "love you too."

After he had left again Carl and I sat on the steps staring out at the community. "When do you think we'll be aloud to do these things, go outside the walls and do something productive?" I asked. He just smiled, "You seem to do those things well enough on your own." I rolled my eyes pulling out my knife, "dad loves me for that." We both laughed and Carl shook his head, "I'm not so sure about that." Judith was asleep in her pen behind us. "Have you held her lately Leah?" I sighed shaking my head no, and Carl nodded, "I think about Mom often, and I also think about what we  had to do in the prison. Mom would want us to love Judith as much as Mom loved us." I smiled, "I do love Judith a lot Carl. It's just hard to look at someone when they remind you of something terrible." Carl nodded, "But none of that was her fault. Go hold her, she loves you Leah."

I stood up cradling her in my arms as she cooed quietly. "I don't know why your making me do this." He laughed, "it's great seeing how uncomfortable you are." I smiled, "it's not Judith it's the thought of a baby in this world." Carl agreed, "she's safe in your arms." I leaned against his side, "I feel the same way right here."