Chapter 43

The three of us were put in a room all alone as they killed off walkers in another side of the building. As the gunshots stopped I put my head down to my knees. I looked across the room at Carol who was hyperventilating.

The saviours came back, and the man who I had shot was pushed down, as Paula inspected his arm. "Carol." Maggie called. Paula took off Maggie's gag, "you need to take her gag out she's hyperventilating." The older women pulled it out, laughing at Carol,"bitch you need to take some yoga sized breaths and calm your ass down." The one holding the gun ripped mine out as well. "What is she so afraid of?" Carol took a deep breath, "it doesn't matter what happens to me, just don't hurt Maggie, don't hurt the baby, and don't hurt Leah." Paula laughed, "your pregnant? You're dumber than you look getting knocked up in a time like this." Maggie shrugged, "when was it ever smart to get knocked up." Paula shrugged, "it's cute, your making bite sized snacks for the dead." I kept my head down, only looking up to see Paula had left the room when the door had slammed shut.

The older women pulled out a cigarette, and Carol raised her eyebrow, "the baby." The lady laughed, "you've got much bigger problems than that." The girl holding the gun whispered her name, and she threw the cigarette on the ground. "You're all worse than a group of second graders."

I closed my eyes pushing my head back against the wall. I couldn't stop thinking about the kid they beat to death, they had already made several remarks about killing me. A loud scream distracted me, I looked over at the man who was now holding his arm in pain. "If he doesn't get medical help he's gonna lose his arm or die. Your man, he think he can help you? It's time to end this, talk to Rick." Paula shook her head, "30 minutes till our crew gets here."

The man angrily stood up, "you know my problem, this girl did this to me and she's sitting here fully intact." I looked up as he towered over me, "Paula if you're not going to make the trade then let's kill her now." I closed my eyes as his arm came swinging down towards my face. The impact almost knocked me over and I could feel blood trailing down. "NO." Paula ordered. The man scoffed, "then I'll shoot her in the arm too, make it even."

Instead of grabbing his gun he pulled out a knife cutting my wrist ties off. He put his knees on my hand holding my arm out. He pushed his knife deep into my skin dragging it down my arm. My legs were thrashing and I was gasping for air. I felt the knife being dragged up and down numerous times. Paula grabbed his shoulders rolling him off and I watched as he hit her in the face too. He swung his knife down tracing it across my face and I cried out when I felt the cut, I could tell it was deep I used my hands to put pressure on it trying to find something to fight back with. Maggie kicked his legs out, "Leave her alone." She smashed her head against his face and the man then turned back to me bringing his boot to my ribs countless times. I bent over trying to catch my breath. Paula jumped behind him hitting him with the back of your gun. I let out a cry as he collapsed to the ground.

"Take Maggie out, see if she knows anything." I was struggling to stay up, and see straight. "Just give up girl, what are you fighting so hard for." I couldn't answer her, it felt like all the air was being sucked out of me. "I can tell you aren't afraid to die, not like Carol over here. You just have reasons to live."

I looked up as I heard the walkie buzz, "have you thought about it yet?" It was dads voice. Paula smiled, "you weren't listening, I said I'd contact you. I'm not so sure about the trade. Your one girl here is pretty beat up, she's fighting that's for-sure. Is she worth trading for?" I heard Dad through the walkie again, "tell me where, I'll come." She shook his head, "we don't have much of a reward." I watched as she then turned towards me, "any last words for Leah? I don't know how much longer she has." I bit my lip trying to keep myself conscious. "Leah we're coming. Don't hurt her or the trades off." Paula smiled, "I think we're past the point of hurting her, you must mean don't kill her." She turned the walkie off and I closed my eyes again.

I stayed pressed against the wall trying to breathe through the stabbing pain in my chest. It was only a few minutes later when I heard Paula sigh and pick up the walkie, "Asshole. We want to make the trade." I listened as she explained to Dad where to meet. Once she had finished she shook her head, "that was too easy. They're probably out there waiting to attack as soon as we bring them their people." Carol shook her head, "Rick wouldn't do that, he wouldn't risk our lives and he certainly wouldn't risk his daughters life to attack." Paula looked at me, "SHIT. You're his daughter?" I looked up, "he's not going to kill you if you let us go now."

"Leave them. We need to go meet our crew. Can't get stuck in a fight." I watched as the two of them left the room. "Carol." I whispered. She began undoing her wrist ties, then rushing over to me. "I know your hurting but if we're gonna make it we need to go now." I used her to stand up, trying to stop my body from shaking uncontrollably. "Do you think they're close?" She nodded giving me a small smile, "you'll be with your dad shortly. I promise Leah." I continued to use her as we took one step, ready to collapse, "you shouldn't make promises you can't keep."