Chapter 34

I faded in and out of sleep a few times struggling to keep myself awake throughout the night. "Hey," Carol whispered sitting in a chair beside me. "How long have you been there?" She moved closer to my bed, "long enough. How are you feeling?" I shrugged, "is my dad back yet?" She shook her head, "you know that if he was back he'd be where I am right now. Answer my question Leah. How are you feeling?" I looked up at the ceiling, it still wasn't clear, "I don't think I'm okay. Did Denise say anything?" Carol sighed, "she said that they may have hit an artery. But she wanted to wait to cut your arm open, until your dad was here." I bit my lip, "but you don't know if he's coming back?" Carol grabbed my hand, "honey she needs to operate now." I nodded, "am I going to die?" She gave me a small smile, "do you want me to get Carl?" I shook my head, "no, just if anything happens can you tell them... just say how much I loved them, even when I was a pain in the ass." Carol smiled, "I know you Leah, you're going to tell them yourself."

Denise walked in, pushing an IV along with her. "How many surgeries have you done?" I whispered. She looked at me nervously, "one... and she didn't make it." I bit my lip, "I like my odds."

"If this one goes to plan, it shouldn't take long." I nodded, "I'm ready." She pushed the IV in me and then pushed another needle into my arm. Only moments later I began to drift off.

"Is she awake?" I slowly pushed my eyes open trying to focus them. "I did it." Denise squealed. A small smile spread across my face, "You did." A hand grabbed my face turning it towards them. "Hey Leah girl. Remember me?" I squinted trying to make sure I was seeing correctly. "Dad." I whispered. He knelt down beside my bed pulling me into his arms. I pushed my face into his neck, holding on like my life depended on it. "You're alright. You're awake, everything's okay." I nodded fighting back tears, "don't leave again." He sighed, "you did good, exactly what I would've done. Thank you."

Dad gently lay me back down and I lifted my head to look at my arm. "Thank you Denise." She placed a hand on my forehead, "if I let you go home with your dad, you promise you'll rest?" I nodded. "Good. Rick keep an eye on her tonight. If a temperature or anything flares up you come right back here understood?" He nodded, "she'll be right by my side I'm sure." Denise smiled, "you're arms going to be very very sore. Your stitches may rip so keep any eye on them alright?" I slowly sat up immediately feeling lightheaded. "You good?" Dad asked. Denise gave me her hand to stand up, "the blood loss is going to make you a little dizzy. Eat something when you get home." I used my good arm to wrap around dads shoulder, "thank you for not killing me."

She held open the door for us and I squinted, "it's night time." Dad nodded, "you've been out a while kid." I put my weight against him as we stumbled home. "What took you so long to get home?" He sighed, "we had to do it, move the walkers." I stopped needing a break, "they made it seem as if I wouldn't make it through this surgery, like I wouldn't ever see you again." He sighed, "I know, but you did and that's what's important right?" I continued to walk until we made it to our steps. "Want a piggy back?" I stared at him, "Did you mistake me for Judith?" He laughed, "Hop on kiddo."

I wrapped my good arm around his neck holding on as we climbed up every step until my room. "You good?" He asked setting me down. I used my bed frame to steady myself, slowly laying down. "Olivia wanted you to eat something, I'll be back." I stared at the wall until I heard him coming back up. "Famous eggs and toast." I looked at the plate shaking my head. "You need this to get strong again you need to get some strength back so you can fight again." I scoffed, "stop talking to me as if I'm one of them. I know how to fight you never let me. They told me I might die and you weren't even there, go plan how to take out the walkers gathering at our gates, do something worth your time."

He lay down on the bed beside me, "you're worth every second of my time, and I'm sorry I wasn't there." I shrugged, "then you don't get to leave me home again. I could've helped with the walkers." Dad smiled, "Leah you don't think I know that? If I let you come who would've been here to help with the attack? Who would've gotten stabbed and then bounced back up right after and continued fighting? They needed you more than we did." I grabbed a piece of toast taking a small bite, "fine." He nodded, "you understand my reasoning?" I shrugged, "you didn't want me out there you're just using what happened here as an explanation." Dad shook his head, "I thought you'd be safer here than out there I was wrong." I smiled, "that's all I wanted to hear." He rolled his eyes, "I'm glad I made your day." I sighed closing my eyes. "Your head hurting?" I nodded and he placed his hand on my forehead. "Sleep for a bit I'll be here."