Chapter 9

By the time we got back the pain from my leg and the glass was killing me, I found it hard to see straight. "Get her help now." Shane screamed. I felt myself being lifted out of the car.

When I woke up I was in a bed staring at the ceiling, my knees were black and blue. The door was pushed open and I looked up as Hershel walked in. Behind him was Dad and Daryl. "Hey sweetheart." I gave him a small smile. "Your knee is dislocated. We gotta get it back in place." I bit my lip nervously. Dad grabbed my hand, "you'll be okay Leah." I nodded. Hershel looked at dad and Daryl giving them a quick nod. Both of them came over holding me down, and Hershel began placing pressure on my knee. I began to squirm from the pain, "stop," I cried. "Stop it." I yelled louder. Dad looked at me sorrowfully, "just breathe Leah." I closed my eyes shooting up as he popped it back in. "All done. It's over." Hershel whispered. I nodded slowly trying to ignore the shooting pain going up my leg.

"Let's see your cuts now." I flinched as Hershel dabbed alcohol over my face to clean the cuts. "This ones gonna need stitches." Dad grabbed my hand, "I got you." I nodded bracing myself as Hershel began stitching the cut above my eyebrow. It stung but I stayed still. "Your a brave girl Leah," Hershel said smiling at me. I returned a small smile back, sitting up. "Take it easy," dad said. I ignored his protests and stood up, my knee was still in a lot of pain. "Is mom okay?" Dad nodded, "you shouldn't have gone with her Leah that was a dumb decision." I leaned forward hugging him, "I'm sorry." He wrapped his arm around me, "I know you are." Daryl gave me a small nod before leaving the room, I looked down. "You need rest Leah. Lay down close your eyes try and get some sleep." Hershel instructed. Dad helped me back into bed and pulled the covers over, just as mom opened the door. "Hey sweetie," she said sitting down on the bed. "Hi mom." I grabbed her hand, "are you okay?" She nodded, "don't worry about me. You shouldn't have to. I'm sorry I haven't been around for you as much as I should be." I shrugged, "we've all got things to deal with." Mom smiled, "well you're handling it much better then me." Dad kissed my forehead softly and mom hugged me before leaving, I stayed awake looking around the room. I know I needed sleep but my body was fighting it.

The next morning I was woken up by Maggie and Beth screaming. I heard certain parts, Maggie was calling Beth selfish. I smiled as my mom opened the door, "hey mom." She sat down on my bed, "how are you feeling today honey?" I shrugged, "better, why are they fighting?" Mom sighed, "I guess you're old enough to hear this. Beth tried to hurt herself today." I nodded, "she tried to kill her self?" My mom looked down, "she's just not thinking straight." I decided to distract mom leaning against her, "you excited for your baby?" She pushed hair out of my face, "I am, are you?" I nodded, "I think so." Slowly I sat up putting pressure on my leg. I smiled as I found that it wasn't too painful to stand on. Carl walked in, "Leah, wanna go for a walk?" I looked over at my mom for approval, "be careful Leah."

I followed Carl out to the driveway, we started walking to the barn. "Wanna see the boy they have locked in the barn?" He asked. I nodded, "I guess so." He pulled open the door and we snuck up to the top of the barn. I looked down at a boy who looked like he was in his teens. He was very beaten up, I limped tripping over a bail and he looked up seeing me and Carl. "Come down here," the boy said. Carl grabbed my hand helping us get down. "Hey kids," he said smiling. I just stood glaring at him, "you know I can take you guys back to my camp. We got lots of supplies." I glanced at Carl curious as to what he was going to say. To my surprise he stayed silent but the boy kept talking. Suddenly the door was pushed open and I jumped back as Shane came barging in. He shoved his gun against the kids mouth and I looked away. Andrea was screaming at Shane to back off, he pulled his gun back and grabbed me and Carl dragging us out of the barn. "Get your asses out of here." He glared down at us, "what the hell you two think you are doing? A man like that will say anything to you." I pulled away angrily, and Carl asked, "are you going to tell our parents?" Shane sighed, "it's not about getting in trouble. You need to pay attention, stop trying to get yourselves killed." I walked away pissed off at Shane and Carl, going to sit by a tree.