Chapter 125

We got to the compound I looked around trying to memorize everything about this place. "Who's this?" A shorter man with big glasses asked observing me. "This is Leah, she was with Daryl they got split." He nodded, "and where was she?" Leah stepped forward, "Daryl was right about the house. She was the only one there when we arrived the others left." The man stepped forward, extending his hand, "I'm pope." Carver pulled his knife out cutting through my rope. I put my hand out slowly shaking his.

"Well welcome home kid." Leah stared at him, "you're not gonna put her in the cell for questioning?" He shook his head, "see after you left I continued my conversation with our guest, I got everything I needed out of him. No need for questioning, I just wanna tell you one thing kid. This is gonna save your life. You're either with us, or you ain't."

I bit my lip, "I'm with you." He smiled, "good. You're with Carver, you report to him. Get cozy." He led us through the gate and I turned to Daryl. As Carver and Pope rounded the corner from us, I put my arms around Daryl. "It's gonna be okay," he whispered. I closed my eyes, "why can't I stay with you?" Leah shook her head, "Pope isn't gonna let that happen, he doesn't fully trust Daryl yet, and he doesn't even know you. Look Daryl told me a lot of stories about you, I wasn't lying. Carver isn't going to hurt you in any way, he's not like that." I glared at them, "I'm not scared of him, why does she even know about that anyway." I shook my head rounding the corner away from them.

I walked into the community and watched as these people stared at me, confused. Carver raised his hand drawing my attention, I quickly made my way to him. He led me into his place and smiled, "this is the grand tour." It was small, a kitchen living room and table were all in one little area. There were two rooms that went off, one was a bathroom and one was a bedroom. "Where am I supposed to stay?" I asked. He shrugged, "bedroom or couch, your choice. I don't sleep much anyway." I looked at the bedroom, "does that door lock?" He shook his head no, "I'm not gonna hurt you." I sighed, "do you know where my knife is?" He almost smiled, "you really don't trust me?" I scoffed, "are you actually acting surprised?" He crashed down on the couch, "not at all." I sat down on one of the table chairs, "what are your people called?" He pursed his lips, "the reapers." I looked at him, "I can take care of myself you know." He stared at me confused, "I never said you couldn't. Anyone who's made it this far can usually look after themselves." I sighed, "do you have family here?" He shook his head, "these people are my family, not blood, but family." I stopped talking trying to think about how I was gonna get back to Judith and RJ.

"The shower works. I'm not trying to tell you how to take care of yourself or anything. But you look pretty shitty." I nodded, "can I borrow a sweater." He stood up throwing me one, "it's my favourite, don't wreck it."

I climbed into his shower letting the water run down me. Quickly I washed my hair and body and then got out putting my clothes back on, finishing with his sweater. I saw him still laying on the couch. "Take the bed. This is your house." He shook his head, "Here." I watched as he tossed me a door stop. "You can wedge that under the door. I'm not stupid. I know why you're scared to sleep here." I scoffed, "you don't know shit." He nodded, "then tell me." I shook my head, "I don't have to tell you anything." I watched him sit up, "what are you so afraid of? From moment Daryl dragged you down from that house, you've been scared." I met his eyes, "I'm not scared." He sighed, "why do you care if my bedroom door locks, you really think I'm gonna come in there and force myself on you?" I looked down at my feet not answering him. "I'm sorry someone hurt you like that before." I bit my lip, "is it really that obvious I'm scared?" He stood up walking into his bedroom, pulling out a tshirt, and handing it to me. "No, but it's obvious a lot has happened to you."

I held the tshirt close to me and he closed the door behind me, I didn't want to be afraid of this guy, but I didn't trust anyone. I bent down shoving the wedge in the door and then laid down on his bed. It wasn't what I was expecting, it was comfortable and cozy. I pulled the blankets up to my face and I fell asleep faster than anticipated.

I woke up to a banging on the door the next morning. I hurried out of bed, pulling the doorstop out. Carver stood there, "you've been sleeping a long time. Just making sure you're all right." I nodded slowly, "I'm fine." He handed me a plate, "I know you can take care of yourself and everything, but I thought you might be hungry." I sat down at the table pushing around a plate of eggs. "How'd you sleep?" I looked up, "good apparently. I don't think I've slept for a couple nights." He nodded, "clearly. I slept like shit if you were wondering. The couch sucks." I didn't say anything. He laughed, "I was kidding. I can take you to see Daryl." I remembered what I said to Daryl last night, "thanks."