Chapter 61

I was released the next night the same time as Michonne. Carl met me at the entrance holding his arm out for me. "Why are you being so nice?" He smiled, "I'm just helping my sister out."

Dad opened the door for us, "hey you three, dinners ready." I slumped down in my chair looking down at my plate, which appeared to be canned vegetables. Everything felt so different here, it felt like all my responsibilities were slammed back in my face. I wanted to be back at the Kingdom, sitting on the counter laughing as Benjamin made us our meals. "You're not eating." Dad said from beside me. I pushed my fork into the food, "sorry I just don't feel very well." He nodded, "do you want me to make something else for you?" I shook my head, "I'm fine, don't worry about it." Carl dug his fork into my plate, "I'll help you out." I gave him a small smile standing up. "I might lie down, go to bed early." Dad stood up with me, "at least let me help you up the stairs." I smiled, "I barely got shot Dad, I can walk." He nodded, "alright, goodnight Leah girl." I gave him a quick hug and then slowly made my way up to my room.

I gently lowered myself onto my sleeping bag leaning my back against the wall. I looked down at the promise ring, twisting it and remembering my words. "I promise to never take it off." I heard Carl walk in still focusing on the ring. "Did he give that to you?" I nodded squeezing it tightly in my hands now. "Tell me about him." I looked over at Carl, "really?" He gave me a small smile, "this guy took care of you, and I can tell how important he was to you. The King told Dad and I a lot about him, and you, but I figured you would want to talk about him." I sighed, "I do want to talk about him, but to say how I felt, it sounds pathetic." Carl shrugged, "you're my sister, you're supposed to be my best friend. You can't be scared to tell me about a boy, especially one you really cared about."

I nodded, "the moment he saw me he ran over, I was covered in walker guts, I looked like shit but he helped me, taking me to his house. He set the shower temperature for me, gave me his clothes. I was scared to talk to the King so he grabbed my hand standing beside me the entire time. He just knew whenever I was thinking about home, or how much I missed you guys because he would try and put a smile on my face." Carl smiled, "he sounded like a really good guy." I nodded, "he had a younger brother who he was like a father too. Everyday Benjamin and I had the same routine, he'd make us breakfast then we'd go and train outside the walls all day usually until dinner time. He gave me this necklace too," I showed Carl. He leaned over to look at it, "I'm sorry you lost him." I continued to spin the ring around in my hand, "he made me so damn happy in a time where I didn't think anyone could."

I turned as our door was pushed open. "I came to say goodnight." Dad sat down beside the two of us, "what are you two talking about?" Carl pointed at my ring, "Benjamin. He gave Leah a promise ring, she was just telling me about him." Dad nodded putting his arms around me, "I've heard about him from almost everyone but you, they all told me how close you two were, inseparable was the word Ezekiel used." I smiled thinking about how we never left each other's side, "it was nice while it lasted." Dad sighed, "I owe him a big thank you for taking care of my little girl." I gave him a small push, "your little girl is more than capable of taking care of herself." Carl laughed, "I can't believe you jumped out of a truck." I nodded, "I remembered what Jesus told us, don't fight it." Dad smiled, "we really missed you. I kept a close eye on Carl he was about ready to go on another shootout mission for you." I nudged Carl, "I'm glad you didn't, we do that together." Carl shrugged, "it's hard not knowing what's happening to your best friend." I nodded, "I wanted to come back to tell you both." He sighed, "you were smart not too. It sounded like you were much better off there anyway." I bit my lip, "it doesn't feel like it now." Dad handed me my blanket, "I wish I could've met him, the saviours.. they're going to pay for everyone they hurt."

I wrapped my blanket around myself, "I'm going to find out who killed him and they're going to die." Dad nodded, "Jared, that was his name." Carl gave me a small smile, "I'll be right beside you." Dad stood up kissing my forehead, and patting Carl's head. "I'll let you two continue talking. Night." I lay down, "love you Dad." He smiled as he shut the door, "love you too Leah girl."