Chapter 3

As evening approached we came to the CDC. "Stay close," dad yelled as we all got out of our vehicles. I held Carl's hand and we stuck to mom. "There's nothing here," Shane whispered. Daryl started screaming at Dad drawing walkers our way. "Get back everyone," Dale ordered. We all started to run back just as the doors opened. "Get in." Dad hollered. I went inside staring around at the place, a man, Dr. Jenner stepped forward. He told us the price of admission was a blood sample. I sighed, needles weren't always my favourite. "Kids first." He announced. I slowly stepped forward sticking out my arm. "Brave young girl first. That's what I like to see." The doctor said smiling at me. Instead of returning the smile I just stared back at him.

After we were all done he led us into a dining room I sat down at the table and watched as food was served. I ate a small portion sipping my water. Dale went around handing out glasses of wine. "You know in Italy and France kids get a glass of wine with their dinner." I smiled at him, and mom shook her head, "well when Carl and Leah are in France or Italy they can have a glass of wine." Dad laughed, "come on, it's not going to hurt them." Dale handed me and Carl each our own glass. I watched as Carl sipped his first, he shook his head sticking out his tongue, "that's disgusting, Leah don't have any." I laughed pushing my glass back. "I won't." Daryl even smiled, "not you Glenn, I wanna see how red your face can get." We all looked over to Glenn and laughed.

After we ate Jenner showed us to our rooms, the first thing I did was have a shower, then I asked mom to braid my hair. "Wanna come to the rec room?" Carl asked. I shook my head, "I'm gonna stay in here." Carl sat down beside me, "you don't have to be afraid, I'll be with you." I smiled, "Carl I'm tired not afraid, go have fun with Sophia."

The next morning when I woke up only dad was in the room, he looked exhausted. "Dad." I whispered getting his attention. "Hey Leah." I smiled, "you look rough." He picked me up, "ya ya, get dressed we're gonna go eat." I pulled on a hoodie and a pair of loose grey shorts. "Ready." Dad nodded holding the door open. I ate a bit of eggs, laughing as Glenn struggled to eat his. "Leah, don't ever drink you hear me." He said. I shrugged, "I'll consider." Dad nodded, "that's my girl."

Once we were done eating we went into a room with a bunch of computers. Jenner showed us a test subject and the process of its brain changing after it got infected. I stared at it interested until all of a sudden it was shot. Andrea looked away, and I bit my lip, walking back to our room. Soon after mom and Carl came in. I read a book quietly on the couch lifting my eyes as mom held her hand up to the air vent. "You okay?" Carl asked. She nodded, "I'm okay, just the air stopped working."

Dad burst through the door, "grab your things, let's go." Without hesitation I picked up my bag, and made a run for the door. Just as I got there a loud alarm starting blaring. I stoped dead in my tracks, confused. "What're you doing girly, keep running." Daryl shouted pushing me forward. "Where's my dad? Carl? Mom?" I yelled looking around. "Ain't no time keep running." I nodded pushing forward. We arrived just as the door shut down. "Did you just lock us in?" Glenn asked. I ran over to dad, "what's happening?" He knelt down to me, "go sit by the wall, don't move." I nodded heading back over to the wall, pushing my back against it. Soon after I saw Carl running over with mom. "Leah, are you okay?" Mom asked hugging me. I slowly nodded, leaning against her side. "I want to get out." Carl was crying wiping tears off his face. I griped his hand, squeezing it. I looked down as everybody fought, dad and Daryl, dad and Jenner, Jenner and Daryl, dad and Shane, they were all losing it.

I watched as Jenner hesitantly opened the door for us, I got off the ground and started running. I stopped as I realized dad wasn't following. Daryl grabbed my arm pulling me with him, "why you always going back, push forward kid. They're coming." When we got to the next door t-dog and Shane both tried to break the glass. Nothing was working until Carol pulled a grenade out of her purse. "Get down." I put my arms over my head laying flat on the ground, dad threw himself beside me covering my head as we felt the blast. "Everyone up." My head was spinning, but I forced myself up. Running out the broken door, my head hit some of the loose glass and I felt blood trailing down my face.

We ran to the RV I got in, just as dad was yelling at us to get down. I threw myself onto the ground once more listening to the giant blasts of the CDC blowing itself up. I peered out and saw the giant flames bursting out of the building. I released a big breath and sat up on a seat.