Chapter 116

I got to a window on the top floor, looking down at them. We were surrounded at every angle possible, and there were still thousands of walkers. "I'm scared," Judith whispered grabbing my arm. I knelt down pulling her into my arms, "we're gonna come up with a plan, we will. Stay away from the windows, keep your brother away too." She nodded, "I will."

"Our plan is the same. We lead the horde away. Once the walkers are clear, we use the stereo to take them to the cliff, not towards Oceanside like we had originally planned." Magna nodded, "the wagon we need is on the other side of the horde." Jerry sighed, "so someone has to go through it." Gabriel put up four fingers, "we have four groups, two in each. One carries the cargo, one protects, it's crucial all the equipment makes it to the wagon."

Lydia put up her hand, "we can make it through. I'll help." A girl from oceanside shook her head, "we're willing, but not if she goes," they pointed at Lydia. "That's fine, Lydia's role is in here. Leah, you have experience walking with them, we're hoping you'll lead one group." Gabriel said. I took a deep breath, "fine." Kelly spoke up, "if Leah and Daryl are going so am I." Daryl nodded, "we're not all gonna make it through, but we have to try."

I made my way into the weapons room stopping when I saw Carol. "Leah," she began. I shook my head, "don't bother apologizing. You're right it wouldn't mean anything to me anyway. I don't want to hate you, but I can't just pretend nothing happened." She bit her lip, "I understand."

Magna walked down the stairs to the exit door with me, where everyone else was covering themselves in guts. Jerry nodded, "you two sure you're okay, walking with the herd again and everything." I saw Daryl studying me, "I'm fine. You?" Jerry shook his head, "nope."

I knelt down to the walker covering myself in its guts. I turned my head as Negan walked down the steps. "I'm not going." He announced. He was one of the groups. "Why not?" I asked. "I'm at the top of every whisperers kill list. Especially Betas. So if the idea is to get through without drawing a shit load of attention, than I am the last person you guys want next to you." Daryl scoffed, "that's bullshit, you want to be a part of this, you gotta put your ass on the line like everyone else."

Gabriel nodded, "it's time." Judith stepped forward holding open one door for us, and I sighed when I saw the other door already surrounded by walkers. "I love you, enough for Dad and Carl," she whispered into my ear. "I love you too."

Slowly the group of us edged towards the door I pulled my hood up holding my knife down by my leg. Jerry grabbed into the handles and slowly let the walkers flood in. I held my breath as they pushed past all of us and carefully I began taking small steps forward. Daryl gave my hand a small squeeze, and then let me slip out of the doorway first.

I stayed close to Daryl, and pinched his arm when I saw a walker holding a knife. I grabbed mine tighter and was about to push it into the whisperer but an arrow from above hit him and I listened to the man scream as walkers fell down and began ripping him apart.

I took another step, and I heard whispers start to chant throughout the crowd. "Together." I took a deep breath keeping my eyes peeled for more of them.

Whatever he was saying was making the herd close in tighter around us. My face was pressed against the back of Daryl but a walker pushed between us, and then more did. It became so many that I could no longer see where I was going. I heard a loud scream and walkers were now pushing me towards a woman who was down on the ground. Her bag was nearby and I went to grab it but another person got to it first. It looked like a whisperer I went to stab my knife into their neck, but it turned around first. I recognized the eyes. "Lydia." I whispered.

She grabbed my hand and together we pushed our way out of the walkers towards the meeting place. Everyone but a woman from Oceanside made it out. "I lost you," Daryl whispered pulling me in. "We've got the bag, let's go." I said making sure no whisperers were around.