Capter 14

Maia-Jane Miller

Today I was having my exam in English.

First, my head had played with the thought of staying home and pretending to be sick but I'd rather go to school than stay home with my abusive father. Our topic was literature analysis, one of the only things I liked but was horrible at. I had to read Romeo and Julia for the analysis, so yesterday I had spent all day reading shakespeare.

I thought I would like the book but ended up not understanding one bit of  it. Now I was searching the summary on my phone and was more confused than ever as I read it. What was expected from me to analyse? I didn't understand half of the text since reading was no part of me. Yet, I was better at writing than I thought, I was good with words even. It wouldn't be so bad, I hoped.

In school I was surprised that Anna wasn't at her usually spot, outsite, beside the entrance, waiting for me to arrive. I didn't wait long for her, just tugged my skateboard under my arm and walked in. It had gotten colder and I was wearing my green hat. Not wearing a scarf would be the reason for my sore throat tomorrow, but that also meant, I couldn't sing which gave me the advantage of skipping it. I should not think about wearing scarfs at all. So, I didn't have to see the boy I had dragged down the stairs into thorns while he was half naked for whatever reason.

One glance at my phone and I read that Anna wouldn't come today, she wasn't feeling very well and asked me to take notes for her to which I agreed. I didn't wish her speedy recovery because who was I? A rude selfish piece of-

,, Hello, Maia. ,, a manly deep voice tapped me from behind on my shoulder and I jumped forward.

No.

Not, hello Maia, just nothing at all. I felt my body tense up, not being able to turn around. I caught my breath in my throat and shut my eyes to hope that all of this was not real and that I was just being paranoid. Why was my father here? Why the fuck was he here. I tried to walk away but with one quick movement, he had his hand clasped around my arm harshly and pulled me with him. There were no students on the hallway anymore since I had waited so long for Anna that the lessons had started.

His chubby hands held me so tight that I could feel how the blood couldn't run through my veins properly. Why was he always hurting me with everything he did? With the shock about his sudden appearance I followed him numbly and still recovered, so that my heart beat could slow down. He would smash it out of my chest a few minutes later so what exactly was my point? I would end up having a heart attack and die.

,, What are you doing here? ,, I gasped after catching that I was still in his fucking grip. ,, Let go of my arm, it hurts! ,, my voice raised itself and he turned me around and pushed me against a wall at the corner of the end at the hallway, the back of my head smacked against it because I did not see that come and a loud groan escaped my lips. After I was able to open my eyes again I saw him fidgeting restlessly in front of me. Did he take drugs? Yes he did. Oh my god, this got better and better each day! Where did he even get this shit?

,, Do you have some money? ,, he didn't answer and was dangerously close to me. But I could see the drugs in his big pupils, he was less himself that usual. I was in fucking school! How dare he, following after me.

,, Did you follow me?! ,, I asked him and he rolled his eyes. What if he had followed me before? I did not want to know if.

,, Do you have money or not? ,, he snapped again and I pushed myback further against the wall.