Chapter 44

Maia-Jane Miller

,, Maia? ,, someone asked carefully behind me. ,, Maia- what's wrong? ,, I still sat on the floor of the living room, my eyes empty and my body numb. They took him. They took him. They took him. I was alone. I was alone. I was alone. I slwoly lifted my head up and looked over my shoulder.

,, They took him ,, I mumbled and my voice broke. ,, They took him. ,, I repeated and shook my head. What would happen to me now? I- I was eighteen. I suddenly realized that i was not seventeen anymore. I could live by myself but I still went to school, I needed someone. Suddenly a flicker of rage flimmed in me. Wrong. I needed no one. He had never been there for me in the first place and yet I had stayed with him. But he was my father- my dad. My shoulders collapsed again. I was nothing.

,, Who? Who took him? ,, Chloe asked behind me and I felt her kneeling down in front of me. Dillon stood in the door, I felt his presence. Why were they here? How did they know where I lived?

,, I- ,, I closed my eyes ,, I don't know ,, I managed to say and looked up at her. Those soft blue eyes looked at me with such commiseration and comprehension that I let her wrap those delicate arms around me and hug me. She looked at Dillon who had already picked his phone out of his pocket and was dialing a number.

,, We came here because you forgot today's date. Blake told us the adresse, we hope it's fine. ,, she said gently and I rummaged in my brain for what I could have forgotten now. ,, We wanted to plan our last prom with the other senior year students. Did you forget? ,, she asked carefully and I shook my head.

,, No- I was just- not planning to go. ,, I managed to reply and she sighted quietly.

,, Hey- we have a problem here- ,, I heared Dillon say into the phone and my eyes widened. ,, No- I don't really know but I think my guess could be right- yeah- Chloe is with here- she's on the floor. ,, if I could have jumped up and killed him I would have done it. He didn't dare call Blake, who would stroll right in within a few minutes. She's on the floor- that asshole. As if I was dying over here.

,, Don't- ,, I whipped my head in his direction and stumbled as I tried to get on my feet ,, I'm fine ,, I said ,, I'm fine ,, I repeated but Dillon just eyed me in disbelief before he could say anything I snapped the phone out of his hand and pressed it against my own ear ,, You don't have to come ,, I pressed out and heared him breath at the other end ,, Everything's fine ,,

,, Now the truth please ,, he replied and I shut my eyes.

,, I- ,, I couldn't burden him. I could not tell him, them, anyone that my father was taken by people I didn't even knew myself. So I descided to do what I could do best. I lied. ,, Nothing. I just- I just panicked because I thought I lost something. But it's fine. I was just not myself for a moment. I'm fine now. ,, I bit my lip and waited for his reply.

We all dealt with our own problems and we all had our own demons to fight. I would not let mine overtake him as well. He alrwdy suffered too much and still seemed to do. I knew that Dillon and Chloe listened to our conversation and I hated myself for being the liar I was. But then I realized something. I would never have to endure physical pain like this anymore, would never have to excuse the bruises and welts and injuries. He couldn't harm me anymore and yet it hurt, the knowledge that he would not return. That I was now truly by myself.

,, Yeah- ,, I heared him breahte ,, I'm not buying that. ,, he sighted after that and I pressed the phone closer to myear, so much it hurt. ,, Why can't you be honest with me for once? ,, he mumbled.

,, Because I'm a liar ,, I said in return and the line fell silent.

,, All the time? ,, he asked back and I knew what he meant.