Chapter 74

LET IT ALL GO - BIRDY!!!!!

---

Mara Kenward

I woke, sweating and breathing like my lungs might collapse any moment. I flinched upright in bed and looked to my right where Blake sat and watched me with a worried expression. His hair looked messy and his eyes tired. I looked at this beautiful person beside me, taking care of not losing sight of me ever again. Dark bags had formed themselves under his eyes and the moon shone through the window like thousands of diamonds, prickling on my cold wet skin. He would not let himself have a night of sleep in order to hold me close to him this time, I saw it in the way his eyes burned with tiredness. He would let them dry out for me, just to stay open. I stroke softly over his cheek and kissed him slightly before I sank back into the cushions and closed my eyes again.

A nightmare.

It had only been a nightmare.

,, Maia- ,, his soft raspy voice reached out to grab me but I turned away from him and faced him with my back.

,, I'm fine. ,, I mumbled ,, It was nothing, just a bad dream. ,, I tried to rebuilt my normal breath ,, I'm fine ,, I mumbled again.

He lied down beside me again and carefully wrapped an arm around my stomach, pulling me closer to him as I tried to burry my tears deep inside the pit of my stomach. He nuzzled his face into my neck and I felt his quiet breath, touching me. I turned around, so that i was facing him, and his dark big eyes already lied on me. The soft fabric of his sweatshirt on my skin, pressed tighter against me as I twisted ungracefully.

,, You've got your wings all wrapped around yourself ,, he then whispered and I looked at the spot between his eyes.

,, I'm not like you. ,, I replied in return ,, I don't have wings. ,,

,, Every bird has them ,, he answered.

,, Mine are trimmed. ,, I said ,, I can't fly anymore, Blake. ,, I whispered and a new tear escaped my eye.

,, Then I'll carry you ,, he said and his grip around me tightened.

,, No you wont ,, I responded and looked him right in the eyes this time. His look startled in confusion for a moment. I listened to the silence for a moment and tried to breathe in all we had and all we were and then I threw the blankets off of me and hurried out of bed. His sweater hung from my body, too big for my frame as I tried to huddle into my jeans that lied somewhere on the carpet. It was time.

He slowly got out of bed as well and watched me in awareness ,, Maia, what is it? ,, he asked me and came over. I only shook my head at his words and pulled the zipper up. ,, Maia- ,, he tried again but I ignored him. But before I got to my shoes he grabbed my arm and turned me around ,, Mara! ,, his voice was louder, more serious and full of slow panic rising up in him. My eyes shot up to stare at his. ,, Please- talk to me. ,,

,, There's nothing to say, Blake ,, I said with a half-smile and reachd out to stroke his cheek but he stepped away from me and my hand slowly sank. ,, I'm sorry. That I can't tell you everything you want to know.

,, I will ask you. Over and over again. ,, he shook his head and stepped forward again, grabbing mine between his hands. ,, What is wrong? ,,

Suddenly, before I got to reply there was a huge rustling noise, like a thunger groll and something must have hit the main door to the mansion hard, because as soon as it crashed it, I heared the echoing going through the hall. Blake's eyes shot to the open bedroom door and mine followed. Our eyes met again, only for a brief moment- but we both knew, the moment they met, that it had begun.