Chapter 74 - Uchiha Massacre - Aftermath

Hokage Residency.

In a private chamber in the Hokage residency, Hiruzen Sarutobi was sitting in a chair contemplating the events that took place last night. His fists clenched in anger as he thought about what Danzo did and what Itachi had to do. He thought about the conversation he had with his former second in command and the now rogue ninja.

Flashback.

Hiruzen was walking through the Uchiha clan district. Several bodies could be seen all over the place. He was surrounded by three of his Anbu members. All of them, checking for survivors.

"What the hell?"

"To think something like this would happen!!"

"How horrible!"

Even the Anbu members who had seen plenty of death and destruction were taken aback by the massacre that happened.

The Hokage looked at the Uchiha clansmen laying on the ground. "Rescue anyone still alive!" He shouted the order.

The Anbu checked the bodies one by one.

Suddenly someone shouted. "We have a survivor!" The masked ninja was checking the body of Sasuke Uchiha.

Hiruzen immediately looked at the person. "Get him to the medical Unit. Hurry!"

Another Anbu with silver hair checked the other bodies near him. "No one else survived. It seems everyone else has been killed."

Hiruzen had a stony expression as he looked at the bodies. "Take away the corpses. All of them. Then check the buildings."

"Yes sir." As the silver haired nin got to work another anbu posed a question. "Who could have done something like this?"

"It was Itachi Uchiha." A new voice joined them.

Danzo Shimura walked towards them and stopped. He looked at everyone present.

"Itachi!?"

"But why would he do something like this.?" The Anbu questions the man.

"Itachi despised his clan. He killed Shisui Uchiha and then took his eyes. He also caused infighting within the clan. And now... It seems he chose to end the clan. He is responsible for this massacre."

"But..." As the Anbu were about to argue, Hiruzen interrupted them.

"Stop wasting time and get to work!"

All the Anbu present at the scene left. Danzo walked up to Hiruzen and stood in silence. Several seconds later Danzo spoke.

"This ends our problems."

The Hokage turned to Danzo. "And exactly what does this end? Can't you see the troubles we're left with?"

"I see the troubles that would arise from this as minor as compared to what would have happened otherwise." Danzo replied.

"You crossed the line Danzo! I can't allow you to operate on your own authority any longer. As of this moment you are relieved of your duties as the second in command and you are removed from the council."

"Hiruzen, don't be rash. I did it..."

"For the good of the village?" Hiruzen finished Danzo's sentence. He looked at the one eyed man. "How many times are you going to use that excuse?"

Hiruzen turned to look ahead, unable to look at his former teammate anymore.

"The Uchiha clan was part of the village. Regardless of what they were about to do, they were still leaf villagers. And this indiscriminate massacre... We could have found another way..."