Chapter 187 - Another Ripple...

Kakashi returned to his position and saw Daichi with a bored nonchalant look on his face? "Were there any problems with the other one?"

"He used a water clone to try and sneak away but didn't get that far..."

Kakashi turned his attention towards the building and his eyes slightly narrowed. 'They're trying to test our limits... With all that's happened in the village these last several years it's no surprise.'

The team kept a vigilant watch over their targets and it didn't look like they were going to try again. Daichi and his teacher took shifts and soon it was morning.

"Time to greet our guests..." Kakashi said as he knocked on the door.

A few seconds later the guard Oboru opened the door. He walked out followed by the Mist village diplomat and then the 2nd guard.

The group made it to their location without any problems. But during the journey Daichi sensed that the two ninjas were vigilant towards him. 'Do they know I'm the one that took the clone down? Highly unlikely... But still even if they do, it won't matter...'

The meeting between the parties started and it lasted two days. Aside from the first incident Daichi and Kakashi didn't encounter any problems. Before long everything was settled and the foreign ninjas left the village.

—-

"Well done you two. The mission was completed without any incidents." Hiruzen congratulated the team.

The quest completion boxes appeared in front of Daichi as he said those words.

[Quest 'Observe the Diplomats' Completed.]

[Rewards:]

10000 Exp.

1500 Exp.

[Reputation increases with the people of the village.]

[Reputation increases with Kakashi Hatake and Hiruzen Sarutobi.]

Daichi dismissed the box and asked a question that's been on his mind. "Lord Hokage, if you don't mind me asking, why did you select us for this mission?"

Hiruzen slightly tilted his head and looked at Daichi as if puzzled by the question.

"Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't want the C Rank mission. It's just, this was an important mission. If they were able to escape my senses somehow it would have been a headache for the village. I get why Kakashi sensei was on the job, but my question is, why did you select me, a Genin for this mission? And why was this mission a C Rank? If there was a possibility of confrontation with the Mist shinobi, then shouldn't this have been a B or an A Rank mission?" Daichi quickly explained himself and then asked the kage.

Hiruzen nodded and hummed at that. "To answer your first question. It's true, this was an important mission. And yes, you are a Genin..." He let out a small breath and looked at the young boy. "But then, that title is only in name isn't it. You and I both know your strength far exceeds that rank."

Daichi was silent as he heard that assessment. The Hokage continued.

"Truth is, letting you complete D Rank and low risk C Rank missions is a waste of resources for the village. I wanted to see how you would perform when on a mission to observe and track other ninjas. I created your team with the intent that you and Kakashi would act as back-up for other Genin or Chunin teams. I was going to wait before I tested your skills but when an opportunity presented itself, well I took it."