because i like you! - scaramouche

ᵃᵘᵗʰᵒʳ'ˢ ⁿᵒᵗᵉˢ ⁀➷
— inspired by @ze5nin on tiktok <3
— a long-awaited, delayed 400k special!!
— i apologize if he seems so out of character, I HAVEN'T WRITTEN IN SO LONG

pairing : f!reader + scaramouche
warnings // tags : academic rivals, fluff, humor (tons of teasing), modern!au, highschool!au, probably OOC, skip-scenes type of writing (that's why there's so many —), swear words
word count : 3472 words

You've been in this school for years, and you've kept your shiny top medal stuck on you ever since. You enjoy and relish in the recognition, but, a title is just as heavy as a burden is. No matter! You suppose you could go by a day without eating as long as you received compliments and praises.

Not until that new student came along. The one named Scaramouche with indigo hair and wears a wacky haircut. He's been climbing up the ranks faster than you could ever imagine, and what pisses you off even further is that he's nonchalant about it! What's this guy's deal?!

Soon enough, the school acknowledged you two as academic rivals who would always butt heads against each other to see who would come out as the winner. Others even began to bet jokingly on who would come out on top.

So, basically, at this point, you two have become frenemies already. Though you certainly still don't like each other, you've become more tolerant towards each other due to the number of times you two have compared scores, which was also about to happen now because a test had just finished.

The indigo-colored, wacky haircut rival of yours showed his paper that had a perfect mark encircled with a red marker, and beside it was where a small star was drawn. You rolled your eyes and gave him a sarcastic middle finger, to which he laughed. "I'll take it you got a lower score than I did. Try harder next time and maybe you'll be able to sit at the top like you did before."

Whilst he was talking, you immediately look around your belongings and dig through your pockets, as well as your bag to look for something. Scaramouche took great offense in this because you weren't even listening to him. "Hey! Did you even hear me? I said you-"

"Hm? Oh, I'm so sorry, I was just looking for the fuck I wanted to give. I can't seem to find it though!" You sarcastically reply and shrug your shoulders mockingly. Scaramouche's scowl only further deepens but, you laughed before properly replying to him. As much of a bitch you were to the guy, you still had some decency. "Whatever, I'm only a point lower than you anyway."

—— 

All this rivalry was just a way for the guy to catch your attention. He doesn't know when it started, or why it even started in the first place, all he knows is that he was receiving attention from the person he likes by being a bitch when it comes to numbers on a sheet of paper. He doesn't care about whether he fails or not, but god, does he enjoy the attention he receives from you when he says his score is higher than yours.

"I never took you to be the corny type, Scara." His friend, Tartaglia, states as he's staring at the papers on which Scaramouche got high marks on. Tartaglia wasn't particularly bad at school, he's pretty decent and places in one of the top fifteen in his class.

Why corny, you ask? Because Scaramouche has always been particularly good at the stuff he does, barely putting much effort into the things he does. So, it's only obvious and suspicious that their friend was suddenly putting in the effort to get a perfect score on something. It had to be due to someone, right?

"What are you trying to do? Slow burn, academic rivals to lovers trope, three hundred sixty thousand words?" Ajax jokes.

"Question is: who?" Aether adds, a smirk laid on his lips.