She'll Be Okay

I was staring down at my beautiful newborn daughter who was currently being held by her father. My eyes were filled with tears of pure happiness as I saw those same tears in my husband's eyes as he was looking down at her.

"I love you so much, baby girl, and I promise I will destroy anyone who ever tries to hurt you." Ezra said to our daughter in a whisper.

I let a few tears fall down my cheeks as I listed to Ezra's promise to our daughter. Daisy gripped my thumb in one of her tiny hands.

"Hey, why are you crying?" Ezra asked me softly as he looked up at me.

"I'm just really happy." I told him truthfully.

"I am too." he responded.

Ezra leaned in and placed a quick, but loving kiss on my lips then looked back down to our daughter.

"I need to get out of this hospital gown." I said as I slowly climbed off of the hospital bed.

"Aria, what are you doing? You just gave birth about ten minutes ago, you need to rest." Ezra insisted in a worried tone.

"I need a clean hospital gown." I replied.

"I'll go and ask a nurse for one, you sit back down and get some rest." Ezra insisted.

I nodded in agreement and sat back down on the bed. Ezra carefully handed Daisy to me and walked out of the hospital room. I looked down at the baby girl that I was holding in my arms and let my tears fall once again. This time the tears were filled with fear. The fear of the person who has tormented my friends and I for years. The fear of the person who will stop at nothing to hurt us. The fear of A. And the main fear I have is what this person may do to the innocent baby girl I was holding in my arms.

"I'll never let anything hurt you, Daisy. My perfect, sweet, innocent, little, Daisy. I promise." I whispered to my daughter.

I leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. Just as I sat back up , Ezra came back in the room with a clean hospital gown. I thanked Ezra and handed Daisy to him so I could change gowns. Once I was changed, I climbed back on the bed. A few minutes later, one of the nurses who helped deliver our baby came in the room. 

"Hi, Mr and Mrs Fitz." she said, her voice sounded shaken and full of sorrow.

"Hi, is something wrong?" I asked slowly.

"We're not entirely sure yet." she replied.

"What do you mean?" Ezra asked with a worried tone.

"You told the paramedics in the ambulance that you baby wasn't due for another three and a half months, is that right?

"Yes." Ezra confirmed.

"She was born three and a half months premature, which could mean that her lungs are underdeveloped. We're going to have to keep her in for a couple of weeks to make sure nothing goes wrong." she explained slowly.

I felt my eyes water up and I allowed my tears to fall. I blinked a few times and sniffled before I looked over to my daughter in Ezra's arms.

"Is she going to be okay?" my voice cracked.

"If her lungs are not fully developed, we'll have to keep her in an incubator with tubes to help her breathe until they are fully developed. Eight out of ten premature babies do survive this." the nurse answered, her voice filled with even more sorrow.

"And two out of ten don't, what if she's one of those two? I can't lose her.

Ezra lifted one of his arms and pulled me closer to him. He was shaking and crying as much as I was. I looked down at Daisy and took one of her tiny hands in my own.

"I assure you that we're going to do everything we possibly can to make sure she survives." the nurse spoke again.

Ezra thanked her and I just nodded as I continued to cry. The nurse flashed us a sad smile then left the room. A few minutes of silent crying passed before a beeping noise came from my phone that was in my jacket pocket that was sitting on the chair beside the bed. I slowly pulled away from Ezra's embrace and reached for my jacket. I took my phone out my pocket and opened the message with a picture attachment .

'You should be careful when you stop for coffee, you never really know what's in the cup . -A'

I clicked on the picture that was attached. The picture was a bottle of misoprostol pills.

"Oh, my god." I gasped.

"What does it say, Aria?" Ezra asked me with a worried expression on his face.

I handed my phone to him so he could read the text and see the picture . Ezra examined my phone closely with confusion across his face .

"What are misoprostol pills ?" he asked me.

"They induce labor." I told him.

"What?

"The girls and I stopped for coffee before meeting up with Caleb to go to our place for lunch. After we ordered we all went to the bathroom, and when we came out, our coffees were waiting on the counter. A must have crushed the pills up and put them in my cup while the girls and I were in the bathroom." I continued.

"Aria, she's going to be okay." Ezra said in a soft voice

"You don't know that, Ezra. This is what A wants. A wants us to lose her." I replied with more tears falling from my eyes .

"We're not going to lose her, Aria. If her lungs are underdeveloped, she's going to get through it."

I show Ezra a sad smile then look back down at Daisy . 

"Do you want to hold her again?" Ezra asked me

I nod slowly and Ezra hands her to me carefully. Once I had her in my arms, Daisy gripped one of my fingers with one of her tiny hands. 

"I love you." I whispered as I smiled down at her.

Ezra tilted my face with his index finger so I was looking at him.

"She'll be okay." he said softly.

I nodded and smiled sadly at him. He leaned in a gently kissed me then pulled away again.

"We will all be okay." he added.

Ezra took our Daisy's other hand in his own and I lay my head on his shoulder. I let my eyes fall shut slowly and I let myself be happy as I sat in my husband's embrace with our newborn daughter in my arms. For now, we're safe, we're together, and we're happy, and that's what's important.