Down Will Come Baby

It's around three in the morning.
Ezra and I had made love quite a few times since we arrived at the hotel at around nine last night. Making love isn't all we've done though.
We talked more about our future together.
We watched one of our favourite movies.
We listened to our song, 'Happiness' by The Fray. While we listened to it, Ezra took me in his arms and danced with me.
It didn't bother either of us that we were both completely naked, dancing to B-26 after we made love for the first time that night.

Ezra and I decided to actually sleep at around two thirty. Well, we both agreed to go to sleep but something kept me awake.

A feeling. An unsettling feeling. A feeling that made me worry.

By the time it was four in the morning I still hadn't gotten to sleep and my worrying had gotten worse. I can't shake the feeling that something bad is about to happen.

I carefully get out of bed, making sure not to wake Ezra, and put on my robe before getting myself a glass of ice cold water.

I sat down at the breakfast bar in the hotel room and stared into the water.

I thought about calling Spencer to check on Daisy but they'd both be asleep just now, Daisy doesn't usually wake up until six in the morning.

And besides, Spencer wouldn't let anything bad happen to Daisy, she loves her almost as much as Ezra and I do.

A long sigh escaped my lips as I got out of the stool and slowly paced to the closest window, feeling the cold vinyl flooring beneath my feet. The cold didn't really bother me.

As I approached the window I slowly pulled the curtains open to look outside. It's still dark out. The sun won't rise for another two hours.

I don't know how long I was staring outside into the streets that were lighted by the moon and streetlights before my phone started buzzing.

I basically ran over to it, hoping that it was Spencer updating me on what was happening with Daisy back at home, but it wasn't.

Blocked ID.

I hesitantly pressed the answer button and slowly lifted my phone to my ear.

"H-hello?" I said in a shaky voice.

No one spoke. There was just a recording of a nursery rhyme.

Rock-a-bye, baby, in the treetop
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall
Down will come baby, cradle and all.

The recording played three times on a loop before the end part started playing repeatedly.

Down will come baby, cradle and all.

I must've listened to it at least ten before I had an idea about what A was trying to say.

I shook Ezra awake and he was instantly worried when he saw the fear in my eyes.

"What's wrong, babe?" Ezra asked me as he sat up.

I handed him my phone and he lifted it to his ear.

"'Down will come baby, cradle and all'?" Ezra asked, sounding confused.

"Look at who's calling." I said.

I watched Ezra as he looked at my phone screen.

"A." Ezra spoke, now also worried.

I took off my robe and pulled on my clothes from the night before as tears started falling from my eyes.

"I think A is going to kill our baby, we need to go home." I said in a panic.

"Why would whoever A is use a nursery rhyme to send that message?" Ezra asked, now also rushing to get dressed.

"I don't know. Maybe they'd hoped we wouldn't figure it out or maybe they wanted us to figure it out. What if they're trying to tell us they've already got her?" My voice breaks at that point.

"I'll call Spencer." Ezra said as he pulled his pants on, grabbing his phone from the night stand.

I hurried around the hotel room putting my clothes on as he called her.

"It wen t straight to voicemail." Ezra said as he dropped his phone onto the bed.

Ezra and I both put on the rest of our clothes and our shoes, gabbed our phones and keys before calling a cab and heading home.

When we got home the police were all gone and the house was in total darkness.

I got out the taxi before I ran up to the front door and opened it with Ezra following closely behind me.

We went into our house and looked in every room. Ezra checked downstairs floor and I checked upstairs.

The first room I checked was Daisy's bedroom. Spencer and Daisy weren't in there.

I then checked Ezra and I's bedroom. They weren't in there either.

I checked every room on the second floor and I couldn't find Spencer or Daisy anywhere.

"Are they down there?" I yelled to Ezra as I headed back downstairs.

Ezra didn't reply.

"Ezra?"

Still no reply.

A few seconds later I felt a hand on my shoulder.