43 - So Many Words We're Not Saying

A little part of me hoped Harry might knock on my door, or text me, or even bite the bullet and slide into bed next to me. I knew that me even thinking this way showed I was finally letting go of the past, and that now the biggest thing stopping me from going into his bedroom was the fear of jumping back into the whirlwind that had been our relationship and getting hurt all over again. Well - that, and the idea that maybe he had actually moved on, and that had been the reason he hadn't followed through with anything after the moment we'd shared on the sofa.

I pushed all these thoughts to the back of my mind and focussed instead on remembering that he was doing exactly as I had asked, and was giving me space. I loved him even more for this, and was looking forward to spending the next morning with him and his family before I had to drive back.

When I woke up the next day the sun was streaming through the curtains and I could hear the birds singing outside. I saw I'd had a text from Harry only a few minutes ago saying he had gone down for some breakfast, and to join him when I was awake. I pulled some long pyjama bottoms on, quickly brushed my teeth and splashed some cold water on my face, and made my way downstairs. I could hear laughter and chatter coming from the kitchen, and when I walked in Harry had Gemma in a headlock and was rubbing the top of her head with his knuckles while she squealed. He let go of her as soon as he saw me and raised one eyebrow.

"What time do you call this?" he demanded, making a huge show of looking at his left wrist, where there was no watch.

"About ten minutes after the time you got up," I replied, just as Gemma retorted, "You've only been up five minutes yourself!"

Harry rolled his eyes and deliberately bumped into Gemma as he walked over to the cupboard and pulled out a mug for me.

"You're such a pain," she said, tolerantly, and sat down in his chair at the kitchen table and began eating his toast.

"Oi!" he protested, and while Anne wasn't looking Gemma stuck up her middle finger and smiled sweetly.

Harry poured me a cup of tea while I sat down and helped myself to the toast in the toast rack on the table. Harry came and took a seat next to me and took a fresh slice while Gemma looked smug.

"What do you want to do this morning?" Harry asked me, taking a sip of his tea. "I don't have to be at the arena until five today. We could go for a walk if you want? Or drive a bit further out to Marbury Park, for a change?"

"Ooh, Marbury's lovely," Gemma piped up. "I haven't been in ages."

"Who said you were invited?" Harry fired back immediately, but he was grinning as he said it.

"Oh - God - sorry," she said, her face falling. "I didn't mean to intrude. Sorry."

"You didn't!" I laughed. "I assumed we would all be going?" I looked at Harry and he nodded.

"Marbury Park it is," he confirmed.

We finished breakfast and went up and had showers, and then got into Anne's car and drove towards Middlewich, before turning off the main road and taking the country lanes north in the general direction of Northwich. We arrived at Marbury Park and took one of the longer footpaths through the trees. The leaves had begun to turn yellow, red and orange, and this, coupled with the low sunlight, made for some great scenery. I had to admit it was definitely a beautiful part of the world.

"How many shows have you got left?" I asked as we walked along kicking pine cones.

"Eighteen," he replied without hesitation, and I raised an eyebrow.

"Wow. You really are on countdown, aren't you?"

He smiled. "We're all just shattered. I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks off before we head back to America for our last promo over there. I just want to relax. Liam and Sophia don't seem happy at the moment, so I think this could be a make-or-break few weeks for them."