79 - All That You Need Tonight

Neither of them spoke.

"Argue about what?" I repeated, a little impatiently.

Harry cleared his throat. "She's apologising for being a bitch these last few months. I wasn't being very gracious about it."

"That doesn't answer my question," I said bluntly.

I looked over at Callie, whose eyes were fixed on Harry; an expression of desperation on her face. Harry stared back at her for a moment before looking back at me again.

"Why don't you ask her?" he said.

"Callie?" I prompted, my heart now pounding harder than ever.

"It was just an expression," she muttered. 

"So you weren't arguing?" I challenged. "You just said you didn't want to argue anymore."

"I just meant I'm sorry for being an arse to him. I misjudged him, and I don't want us to be at loggerheads anymore."

I looked over at Harry for confirmation, and he looked at me and shrugged. "Whatever. I don't want any trouble. I've never wanted any trouble."

I couldn't help thinking this was a pointed comment, aimed at Callie.

"Me neither," she said humbly. "Can we start again?"

"Ironic," Harry huffed, with the tiniest eye roll. I stared at him. I'd never seen him behave like this towards anyone before; so undeniably intolerant, and downright rude.

"Harry," I said, softly.

"Fine," he said shortly. "She's your friend. We're cool."

He turned away from both of us and walked back to the table without so much as a backward glance. There was a moment of heavy silence.

"OK... so what was that really all about?" I asked, turning back to Callie and folding my arms across my chest so it wouldn't be obvious that my hands were trembling.

"I guess he's just fed up of me," she said, in a resigned tone. "I don't blame him, really. I've never exactly been his biggest supporter. That must be draining after a while."

I raised an eyebrow at her and pulled a face. "You've changed your tune."

"I know," she sighed, looking away. "I'm trying, I really am. I don't want to lose you. You're my best friend."

"You won't lose me," I assured her, feeling a little confused and putting my arms around her shoulders. "But he makes me happy. We've come so far. He's not going anywhere, but neither am I."

"I get that," she said fervently, hugging me back tightly. "I get it now. I'm on your side, Jess, I swear."

"Come on," I said, releasing her and inclining my head in the direction Harry had just walked, with a smile. "There's a bottle of Prosecco on our table that needs finishing."

"I'll be over in a sec," she said. She stepped back from me and walked over to the bathroom door, and I nodded and made my way back across the restaurant, weaving my way slowly and carefully through the other diners to get to our table. Anne was standing up talking to my mum as I approached, so the seat next to Harry was empty. He was texting on his phone, and as I went to sit down he locked the screen and slid his phone into his pocket out of the way.

"You OK?" I asked, leaning close to him so we wouldn't be overheard.

"Yeah, you?" he asked without looking at me, extending his arm around the back of my chair.

"Yeah," I nodded, wondering whether to bring up the subject of Callie or whether to leave things alone for now. I didn't want to rock the boat right before Harry went away, and I couldn't blame him for being short with Callie. Hadn't he already told me he was fed up with the way she treated him? It sounded as though she was finally coming round, and I didn't want to inflame the situation by pestering him about it. Better to leave things be, and let Callie prove in time that she wasn't the bitch Harry thought she was.