66 - Anyone In Between Is The Enemy

"We're flying out of Manchester so I was wondering if maybe you wanted to spend Christmas together, at my mum's?" he continued. "It's fine if you'd rather be with your family, though, I understand. But the invitation is there. Just let me know. I'm sorry to spring it on you like this; I know it's a bit sudden. It sort of only just came about in the last twenty four hours or so." 

My mind was racing while he was saying all of this, trying desperately to think of a way of accommodating both Harry and Callie; of somehow going on both holidays; of maybe splitting myself in two or something because the thought of letting either of them down was too awful to contemplate.

"Jess? Are you still there?"

"Yeah," I tried to say, but it came out as a whisper of air and nothing more. I cleared my throat and tried again. "Yes, I'm here."

"Baby, don't worry about Christmas at my mum's if you want to be with your family," he said softly. "We'll have the whole week afterwards to be together. Mum and Robin are coming on holiday too."

"And you've already booked it?" I said, miserably. "You can't change the date?"

"Not now, no. Why?"

I hesitated, and then said resignedly, "I'm so sorry Harry. I can't come."

There was silence on the other end of the phone. Then, "Is this a joke?"

"No," I said, my voice trembling. "I've just booked to go skiing over New Year with some friends. We've paid the deposit and everything."

"Oh!" he laughed. "Well can't you push it back a couple of weeks? I'm sure your friends will understand."

"I can't," I said, almost in tears now. "There are too many of us to start changing dates. It's already booked - the flights, the chalet, the lift passes..."

There was more silence.

"Harry, I'm so sorry," I said again. "If there was anything I could do to change it, I would. But I can't."

"You're seriously saying you can't come?" he said after a moment, and the shock and disbelief were evident in his voice.

"I'm so sorry." I was starting to sound like a broken record.

"Jess...," he began. "Jess, this is really important to me. I need you there with me. This holiday... it isn't just about spending a week on a boat. Jeff and his family are coming. We're going to be discussing my future management while we're there. Both Irving and Jeff are interested in signing me up. This is a huge step for me and I need you by my side."

I felt sick. He sounded different now - I had never heard this tone before. It was bordering on fundamental disappointment.

"Can't you... can't you do that another time?" I asked, stupidly, and even as the words fell out of my mouth I realised how idiotic they sounded.

"No," he said bluntly. "This holiday has been suggested by Jeff, after a discussion with Irving. I've told them about my interest in breaking into the film industry, and they both think I've got potential. They're busy people. If they've booked that week, then that's the week we're going."

"Oh," I said in a small voice, as I was harshly reminded of Harry's level of fame and desirability.

"Can't you change yours?" he asked again.

"Not with so many of us going," I said awkwardly.

"Who's going?"

"Um, well, Callie," I began, and Harry made some sort of huff of disgust. "She's the one who has organised it all," I added quickly. "It was supposed to be a girls-only thing, to take her mind off what happened with James, but then more people started showing an interest so it's ended up being a big group of us. I was actually going to ask you if you wanted to come along too, but then I thought maybe it would be better if we went away just the two of us, like we talked about a few weeks ago...."