84 - Actions Speak Louder Than Words

The following afternoon was spent above the Sunset Strip, at the house Harry was hoping to buy. Anne and Robin were yet to see it too, so we met an estate agent there just after lunch. Harry's enthusiasm for the place was clear, albeit low key in front of the agent, as he showed us the majestic rooms (including a home cinema, a gym and a master bedroom with an enormous glass wall that slid open onto its own rooftop deck.) The outdoor pool area was absolutely beautiful, and the entire property was hidden behind high walls and tall trees, guaranteeing Harry the privacy he needed. I tried not to show my disbelief at the luxuriousness of it, but I couldn't help my jaw from dropping at the incredible views from the deck, as Harry came up behind me and slid his arms around my waist, resting his chin on my shoulder and the side of his head against mine.

"What do you think?" he asked softly.

"It's....," I searched fruitlessly for words to sum it up, to do it justice. "I'm speechless," I finished eventually, turning to face him. "I think it's amazing."

"The only thing I would change is the bathroom," he mused. "It's a little on the small side, in relation to the rest of the house. But I've viewed another few properties and this one is by far the best, for the money. And I really like the feel of the place."

"The bathroom is gorgeous," I argued. "And honestly, how big do you need it to be? It's got everything you need."

"That we need," he corrected, and my stomach flipped.

"Seriously," he continued, looking deep into my eyes. "I know London is our proper home, but when you're here with me, this will be your home too. I want you to love it."

"I do love it," I told him, my heart pounding at this new step, further into commitment. "But I want you to choose somewhere that is perfect for you."

"Your opinion matters to me," he said softly. "If you said you hated it, I would reconsider."

"Would you really?" I breathed, staring at him, as Anne and Robin walked into the room.

"Of course," he murmured. "I wouldn't buy somewhere you really didn't like. I want you to be happy when you're here."

I stood on tiptoes and put my arms around his neck, catching Anne's eye over his shoulder. She smiled at me affectionately, and I pulled away from Harry to gaze into his eyes. "Well, I love it. So you have nothing to worry about."

He kissed me softly, and smiled. "What do you think?" he asked, turning to his mother, and she walked over to us.

"I think it's lovely," she replied. "If it's in the area you want, and you're happy with it, then I think you should go for it."

"I agree," Robin nodded. "And don't dawdle, if you've made your mind up. You don't want to lose it."

Harry nodded. "I have made my mind up." He took my hand in his, and we made our way back downstairs to where the agent was waiting. "Can we talk numbers?" he asked.

I chatted with Anne for a few minutes while Harry spoke to the agent and they agreed that Harry would speak to his solicitor to get the ball rolling, and the agent would speak to the owners of the property with regards to Harry's offer. I couldn't help but be in awe of the huge sums of money being discussed, and was reminded once again of just how different Harry's way of life was to mine. I had never asked him about finances - the nearest we'd come to discussing it was when we'd had the moving-in conversation, and had compromised over what my contribution would be. I never wanted Harry to think I abused his generosity, which was why I was so determined to pay my way whenever I could.

"You look thoughtful," he remarked, as we drove back home.

"Do I?" I smiled, and he reached across the gap between us to lace his fingers through mine. "I'm just thinking how incredibly surreal all this is. It's a different world."