•1•

•1•
Alana Cardenas

I watched as my father and brothers jumped from the couch with excitement after their favorite team scored another touchdown.

"That's what I'm talking 'bout B!" my oldest brother, Sean, shouted with a cheerful smile on his face.

"Yo, OBJ is a beast son!" exclaimed Mike, my second oldest brother.

"Yea, crazy on the field." agreed Aaron, my twin brother.

I looked at the tv screen and saw the blue New York Giants player run up and down the field after making a nice score. I didn't know much about football. But since my brothers and dad have been in to it since I was born, I have no other choice than to watch it when it comes on Sunday nights. And from how long I've been watching it with them, you would expect to pick up on some things. "Lana, baby, can you go and get your dad a beer?"

"Okay daddy."

"Me too Lana!" shouted Sean.
"Ow, same Lan!" added Mike.
"And over here, please?" Aaron asked.

The three of us looked at him. Aaron and everyone else in the room knew that neither him or I were old enough to to drink. "Shut up boy." said my dad as he rolled his eyes at him.

"You stupid B." teased Mike.

Aaron shrugged. "It was worth a shot."

I went over to the fridge and grabbed three cold beers. "Lana! While you up can you get some chips too?" my dad asked from the living room. "Okay!" I replied then sat the beers down on the counter top. I reached up for the chips that were on the top of the fridge. I struggled to get them down, but with one good leap, I had them gripped in my hand.

I walked over to the cupboard and grabbed a plastic bowl to put the chips in. After I had readied the chips, I tossed them back on top of the fridge.

I picked up the bowl and the beers then tried my hardest to get them all in to the living room at once without making a mess. Usually I would have help with the refreshments on Sunday's, but ever since my mom passed, it's been a little rough around here with these four knuckleheads. I love them, but it's honestly like taking care of four big grown babies.

"Okay, here." I said while placing the chips on the table then handing a beer to my dad, Sean, and Mike. "Thanks sis- OH SHIT SON!" the three of them jumped off the couch again, almost giving me a heart attack. I turned around and saw that another touchdown was made by number 13 yet again.

I walked around them then took a seat on the arm of the love seat next to my dad. "Is the game almost over?" I whispered to him. "Why? Don't want to spend time with your old man and your brothers?" I lightly giggled.

"It's not that daddy, I just have work in a little bit and before I get there I was planning on stopping at my apartment real quick."

"This is only the third quarter so if you have to go then go ahead baby." I nodded then kissed him on the cheek.

"Bye daddy." I said then walked over to my brothers. I pecked all of them on the cheeks. "See you Lana."

"Peace baby sis."
"Catch you later Lan."

"Bye knuckleheads." I giggled then walked out the house. I loved my family. And I'd much rather be in there with them than at that diner with that creepy boss.
~
The rain was hitting the glass windows of the diner pretty hard tonight. The sky was black and this place was damn near empty. With this amount of customers, the place should be closed for tonight. But that dumb 24/7 policy has to ruin that for me. There were only four people working tonight too. Jonah, the cook, was in the kitchen while Crystal and I stayed out and waited for some customers. Jacob, my manager, sat in a booth in the corner—just staring. I looked away, trying my best not to make eye contact with him.

Jacob and I don't have the best relationship. He likes me, but I'm not interested. Maybe if he wasn't my co-worker–and creepy as hell– I could possibly let him take me out. But the chances would be very unlikely. He's a good looking guy, but there have been some rumors about him that set me off a little. Jonah told me that the girl that worked here before me went out with Jacob, but when she decided to end things, he started to stalk her. So bad that she had to quit her job and move to a different town. Crystal tells me that he's been to jail for sending terroristic threats to the family of his old girlfriend. If I put time into him, then I have a pretty good feeling that the end result wouldn't be good.

My thoughts soon paused as a group of men and women walked in to the diner. I looked at Crystal who was looking down at her phone, not paying the least bit of attention. I signed then walked over to them. I observed the group and noticed that these people weren't average people. The clean clothing and the flashy jewelry gave me that idea. "Hi, six menus?" I asked one guy. "Yea' ugh, but first, y'all got a bathroom?" I nodded then pointed to the restroom door. He nodded then rushed pass me. I walked over to the opposite corner booth from where Jacob was sitting then began to place menus down. There were three men, two at the table since one was in the bathroom, and three women.

"I'll let you guys che-" I was cut short by one of the girls. "Actually we all know what we want." she said. "Can I start you guys off with something to drink then?" she turned her attention to the guy sitting next to her. "Odell, wouldn't it be cute if we shared a milkshake?" she asked as she jerked the hood off his head.

Odell? Where have I heard that before?

"Yea, I guess Amber." I looked at him then soon recognized who I was serving. Number 13 on the New York Giants. "Can we get a-" he stopped talking once him and I made eye contact.
-
Chapter 1! Hope you enjoyed. Don't forget to like and comment who you think it was Alana was serving that night.

Alana in media.