•75•

•75•

"I know, don't cry." Jake whispered in my ear as I sobbed on his shoulder. He had his arms wrapped around me and our bodies were close. "You gonna be alright Lana." I shook my head then tried to calm myself down, but I had already worked myself up too much.

I tried my best, but it was hard. I was forever wishing I didn't volunteer to give my blood. Then this situation wouldn't even be happening. The thing that made this ten times worse was that I picked up the phone and tried to dial Odell's number unintentionally. I immediately had to hang up once I had realized what I had done. I missed him so much. Jake was a good place holder for Odell when he was away, but he could never compare to the original. He didn't hold me like Odell did. He couldn't kiss like Odell could. He wouldn't love me like Odell would. I thought I could handle a month, but clearly I was wrong.

"I'm sorry you finding all this out today, but I'm sure things will get better." Jake tried assuring me.

"I-I have to wait for six month for things to get better! And that's not even a guarantee." he sighed loudly then rested his chin on the top of my head. "And for the entire six months I'll be there for you, whenever you need me to be." I looked up at him and saw a smile on his face. He chuckled softly then wiped my tears away. "You're so beautiful, too beautiful to cry." I smiled hesitantly. "Listen to me when I tell you that this is just the storm, the rainbows coming out soon. I promise." I sniffled then pushed my wild ass curls out of my face. "But Jake..I don't want things to get worse than what they already are."

He shrugged. "I don't think they can Lana." he replied truthfully. Jake was right. What else could possibly go wrong in my life? Everything has literally already fallen apart. My family will never be what it used to be. My boyfriend is away for the next six months. I got a new job, but it's a risky path to go down if I actually do go through with what Ms. Shannon expects of me.

"Maybe. I just...I don't even know anymore." he sighed then lifted my head up to look at him. "Don't give up on yourself, you're strong and you can get through anything. I know your little boyfriend not being here is a little tough on you, but you'll make it. Just remember that he's missing you."

"But how do I know he's missing me?"

"Because you're you. Any man lucky enough to fall in love with you would hate to have to be apart for more than twenty four hours. Let alone half a year." Jake licked his lips.

I had never really noticed how full they were until he was this close. I stopped staring once we heard the doorbell ring. "Hold on." I said then got off the couch. I walked over to the front door and opened it. I rolled my eyes once I saw a familiar face standing on the other side. "What are you doing here? When I told you to leave the hospital I also meant our life too." Luke sighed then rubbed the back of his neck. "I know, but I have to talk to you about Odell. It's really important."

I thought about it for a second. Should I really let him into Odell's place? I feel like this is a bad idea, but I need to know what he's talking about. "You can't just tell me right here?" he shrugged. "I don't think you want to be standing up for what I have to tell you." I rolled my eyes then stepped to the side so he could enter the house. We both walked into the living. Jake was surprised to see someone else here. "Who is this?" he asked as I went to go sit back down next to him. "Jake this is Luke," I introduced them. "Luke this is Jake.

I had already mentioned Luke to Jake once I had told him about the situation with Odell. I think that's why his body language completely shifted from calm and cool to defensive and on edge. Luke sat down on the couch across from us. "Why are you here?"

"I came to apologize. I know it may not seem like it, but I care about Odell. He was my brother back in college."

"You get all your other brothers hooked too?" I asked sarcastically. He sighed. "Hey, in college I was doing some stupid stuff too. I got in to the world of drugs and I regret ever bringing him with me." he tried explaining this bullshit to me, but I wasn't for it. "If that's the case then why would you help him get high now? Have you seen what you've done to him?" Luke nodded slowly. "I know and I feel so guilty. If you would just let me explain from the beginning-"

"There's nothing for you to say! You tried to ruin him because you're evil! I see right through this guilty guy façade."

"Lana! Let him talk, alright? He might have something important to say." blurted out Jake as he grabbed my hand to calm me down. I sighed then rolled my eyes. "Fine, just hurry up because I hate looking at your face."

"Thank you. Like I said before, I'm sorry and I feel so guilty. It's just Josh had offered me so much. I couldn't refuse." Josh? Josh who?

"What do you mean Josh?" I asked. "Norman, he came to me one day when I had got off of work. He started talking about the parties and everything that Odell and I used to get into. He knew everything Lana. He offered me twenty grand to get Odell hooked, but we never meant for him to overdose and have to deal with all this. We just wanted to throw him off a little during off season so that come training camp he won't preform as good as he normally would." I shook my head in disbelief. I thought I had saw the last of Norman once Sean told him off at the diner. Well I hope he's happy. He's slowly ruining Odell's life. And some "brother" Luke is...

"Why would you do that though? If he was your brother then no amount of money should get in the way of how loyal you are to him." he looked down at his lap disappointedly. "I know, but you really don't understand. I needed that money! And plus I had been talking to Jarvis and after everything Odell had done to him...I didn't think it would be that bad to hit him back with a little karma." I pushed some hair behind my ear then looked away from Luke. "So, Jarvis knew about this?" he shook his head.

"Naw, I didn't tell him. But Lana please forgive me. I'm so sorry. I never meant for-"

"I'm not the one who deserves an apology, Luke. I think it's time for you to go." he nodded slowly then got off the couch. I let him walk to the door alone because I believed he could let himself out. I rolled my eyes then shut them as I laid out on the couch.

Odell isn't by far the nicest person in the world. He's actually a bit of an asshole. But he's my asshole. I know his heart. And it's not right that Luke and Josh took this an entire different level that never needed to be reached. He doesn't deserve this. No one would. But I know they'll get their karma. Sooner or later.

"You good?" Jake asked. I slowly nodded while keeping my eyes shut. He sighed. "Listen, I have to go. But remember what I said, just wait. You gonna be alright."
-
How you feel about Luke and Josh's scheme against Odell? Think Odell deserved it?🤔