1

~The day of Aptitude Testing~

Natalie listened as the melody her mother hummed peacefully filled the room. Natalie was sat in a small wooden stool in front of her vanity. She watched nervously in the mirror as her mother finished braiding her hair. Natalie and her mother looked fairly alike. Long, curly light brown hair, matching hazel eyes, and freckles all along their noses and cheekbones.

"There," Her mother sighed happily, "All done." Natalie admired her mother's work in the mirror, two braids immaculately weaved all the way down to the ends of her hair, falling just below her chest. "They're beautiful mom," Natalie says to her gratefully. Her mother stood behind her admiring, fixing and slightly loosening the just made braids. "Thank you sweetie, and if that's the case, you and these braids most certainly have something in common." Her mother compliments, a small smile slowly forms on Natalie's face. But before she could thank her mother, someone walks into the room.

It was her older twin brother Miles, "Oh don't tell me you forgot about that unbelievably handsome, and oh so manly son of yours." He jokes, running a hand threw his short brown hair and posing goofily, making both his sister and mother laugh. Her brother always seemed to have this lovable sense of humor, that could brighten up a persons mood in an instant. "Oh yes, how could I forget?" Their mother walks over to him, "I mean, then again, sometimes I get so caught up in all the harmony, and all the peacefulness that I do manage to forget I was blessed with both of you at once." Their mother smiles, fixing her sons collar and picking a few pieces of lint from off his dark green cotton sweater. "And luckily for me I got exactly what I wanted. I got my little boy," their mother paused plopping down onto Natalie's bed, pulling her son down along with her. She gestured for Natalie to sit with them by patting the bed to the right of her, Natalie rose from the stool and sat beside her mother.

"And my little girl." Their mother held them close, "We're not little anymore mom," Natalie says passively, their mother nods. "Ah yes I know, I never realized seventeen years could go by so fast." Their mother says, beginning to reminisce. "It felt like just yesterday me and your father were teaching you to walk and talk. Count and read." Their mother expresses fondly, looking at both of her children with a sad glint in her eyes. "Oh and don't get me started on all the filthy diapers you two produced." Their mother jokes, making her children laugh. For awhile their mother just held them, one arm around each of them.

"Your father and I love you both dearly," she says sincerely, "And no matter what results you get, and regardless of which faction you will choose for tomorrow, we will always love you." Their mother finishes, holding onto both Miles and Natalie's hand. Natalie is then reminded of the whole reason why she had her mother braid her hair, and the whole reason why her mother was having a sentimental conversation with the two of them. Aptitude testing was scheduled for today, and this day would be the day Natalie will find out exactly who she was. Even though not knowing didn't really bother her at all, she was glad and only a bit nervous she'd be figuring herself out once and for all. She was frightened at the possibility that the results would tell her to leave her family. But she was even more afraid that it would tell her to stay.

"Knock knock." The almost fully complete family looked up at the door, and Natalie watched as her father stepped in. "It's just about time to get going." He says, seeing his family practically huddled together on the bed warmed his heart. They all rise and the two teenagers give both of their parents hugs, and their parents assumed it was just because of Amity tradition. But they didn't do it because the forte of their faction said so, they did it because it felt necessary. They did it because these next two days just might be their last chances to do so.