38

"What're you guy's still doing out here?" My older brother asks, coming out of the dining hall. I quickly think up a lie, "Oh Tris just had something in her eye, after I got it out we started talking about someone's little surprise, she wanted my advice on it. Right Tris?" I elbow her a little harder then expected. She rubs where I elbowed, "uh, yeah. It's a surprise though so, you won't find out till we get back to Dauntless." She says, and I know my brother all too well. He as a knack for sniffing out lies, he squints his eyes at us for a moment but, he eventually stops. "Alright fine, I won't ask what it is. But can we at least get back to everyone, they're wondering where you two are." He says, buying the lie.

Tris and I enter back through the door my brother held open for us. Four meets me at the door as Tris and Miles head back over to our parents, "What just happened with you and Tris?" He asks, and my expression is sour. "I got a confession, that's what. Let's just get back over there and enjoy today, I'll tell you what happened later." I say to him, and he nods. We join my family and friends again and, hop into the conversation. Eventually we all sit down and just chat, my dad questions how Four had saved my life those times before.

"Well, uh, the first time was because of war games. I decided to climb up the side of a Ferris wheel to get a vantage point, and two of the rungs broke off while I was climbing. Luckily though, Tobias here followed behind me and caught me right before I fell." I explain, and my dad raises his eyebrows at me and Four. "And the other time?" My mother asked, she sat down in the seat next to my dad. I remember back to the second time Four saved my life but, I couldn't form the words to explain. Actually, I didn't want to form the words. I feel a masculine hand grab my own, and I look up to see Four giving me a reassuring look and eventually, a nod.

"The second time, well, I was in the surveillance room and I spotted Natalie near the chasm in Dauntless. I watched her, flipping back and forth through camera angles. And, to this day I'm glad I did because a group of masked initiates targeted her and Tris." He pauses, slightly gritting his teeth. " And I have to say, you two have a pretty selfless daughter." He says to my parents, "She fought all three of them, and told Tris to run. Considering they broke her arm. She ran off, and that's when I raced out the surveillance room, through Dauntless, all the way to the chasm." Four finishes his explanation. And the images of Al's face fade as I remember the next face I saw that night. Four's, and I also remember the expression he had after he subdued all three of them; nothing but pure satisfaction. "He got there just in time, before the three of them got me over the edge of the chasm." I say, squeezing his hand.

He squeezes back. My mom and dad look at us perplexed, "Why on earth would they attack two young ladies? What would they get out of such a heinous act?" My mother questions aloud, "Yes, my question exactly. Who are these three men?" My father questions aloud as well. Four was about to answer but I stop him with another squeeze, "Well, um, two of them were just bullies. Peter and I think Drew, those two always thought they were better then us in initiation. And when they realized just how wrong they were, they decided to rid of the competition. Tris, or better yet, me. The third one who attacked me, well. . ." I trail off, only for a bit though, "He was my friend, our friend actually. His name was Albert. We'd call him Al though." I explain balefully, and now my parents were even more shocked then they were moments ago. "Your friend? Why would he of all people attack you two?" My dad asks, "That, was my exact question. Until I realized, with a little help from someone," I look over to Four, "That he was scared. He was afraid he wasn't going to make it through initiation. And for some people, fear makes them irrational. I get why he attempted it, I do. I just, wished he came to us instead of Peter for help. Cuz god knows that man -if I can even call him that-, has had a vendetta against me since day one." I say, and my brother Miles agrees. "I'm just glad he's out of our hair and in a Factionless group. I'm also glad I got to mop the floor with his ass beforehand." - "Language young man. But, uh, just for the record," My dad starts, and leans closer to Miles, "Did you make him bleed?" He fails to whisper, and my mother smacks his arm.