10

Next thing she knows she's in Dauntless waiting for second stage testing. There were chairs lined up against both walls of the long hallway-like waiting room. Jade was at the very end just near the testing room door, with Miles next to her. Tris, Chris, Al, and Will all sat on the other side in that order. Moments later the door unlatched and opened. Molly had to be dragged out the small room by two other Dauntless members, she looked pale and physically drained. Four looks around, and almost immediately lands his sights on Jade.

"Jade." He calls her, she enters through the doorway and scans the little room. There was a chair in the center along with a metal stool, table and computer off to the side of the chair. "Take a seat." Four orders, as he closes the door. Jade does as she was told and unintentionally lets out a nervous shaky breath. But the funny thing about it is, she wasn't nervous about the testing at all.

She was nervous because she was in a room alone, with the one person she'd always tend to get nervous around. Four made his way over to the table, the table held little glass containers and what looked to be a syringe. "I'll be injecting you with a serum that stimulates the part of your brain that processes fear." Four explains to her, "Oh well that sounds swell." She comments, twiddling her thumbs in the chair. And even though Four had his back to her she could somehow tell it made him smile. "It induces hallucination, and the transmitters in the serum allow me to see the images in your mind." He continues, Jade stops twiddling her thumbs and looks up at him.

"You can see inside my mind?" She questions, he just gives her a 'mhm'. He stares at her for a moment, trying to read her. Eventually he steps closer to the chair Jade sat in and he instructed her to lay back and relax, considering how tense she got moments ago. Four carefully tucks a piece of her curly brown hair behind her ear, only to get a clear view of her neck for the syringe. It gave Jade this exploding sensation, and she was honestly amazed, the slightest of contact from him drove her nearly over the edge.

Soon all pleasant feelings were thrown out the door when he inserted the needle into her neck, and injected her. "You're gonna be facing your worst fears Jade. Most people have ten to fifteen minute bad ones." Four pauses, "You have to calm yourself, slow your heart rate and your breathing and deal with what's in front of you." Four explains. Jade focuses hard on every word he says only because the serum was starting to make it hard to concentrate. "Be brave." Is the last thing she heard, and Four's brown eyes were the last thing she saw before fading out of consciousness. Moments later Jade wakes up, but she is no longer sitting in the metal chair, nor in a room with Four.

She looked around and oddly enough she was home, on Amity grounds. She rose from her bed as sounds of screaming and terror came from outside her family's home. She looked outside her window and it was dark, men and women dress in all black had guns. They were going in and out of homes in a rush, as if they were searching for something. Just then Jade hears voices coming from outside her room, she puts an ear to her door.

"Keep an eye out for anyone awake! If their awake, they're divergent. Shoot to kill!" Someone shouts, and she slowly locks the door and dove for her window. She attempted to open it, but failed. Someone had grabbed her door's knob from the outside, "It's locked! Someone's inside!" She hears. Jade desperately, and with all her strength pulls the window open. She climbs out and lands on her feet, considering her home was only a one story home.

There was chaos everywhere, she could hear gunfire and screaming from men and women. A handful of people in her faction were hiding, and some were laying lifelessly on the ground. Jade made a break behind another house when she heard people coming closer, but once she got there they kept their pursuit on her regardless. Jade looked ahead of her and could see tall grass and beyond that, nothing but trees. Jade makes a break for the woods.

She ran as far as her legs could take her, and once they gave out she hid behind what felt like a tall tree, and attempted to catch her breath. Fortunately she heard the men and women go by, leaving Jade to realize she's now in pitch black darkness. It was like her ability to see had been taken away, she clutched onto her own knees. Her heart was beating out of her chest and her breathing quickened. It was just the sheer vulnerability that frightened her, the fact of being unaware of what's around you.

She remembered back to what Four had said, "You have to calm yourself, slow your heart rate and your breathing, and deal with what's in front of you." The words echoed in her head as Jade took a deep breath in, and lets it out. She continues to do so regardless of all the ominous sounds the forest brought. She focused hard on one thing and one thing only, Four. The way he looked, the way he talked, the way he acted. She reminisces back to when she hugged him after climbing down the Ferris wheel. She remembered how his scent comforted her in that very moment.

And it worked, she felt her heart rate slow and her breathing as well. Jade looks to her left and a gun barrel was pointed at her, but before she could react it shoots, and she wakes up in the chair with a start. She sat up in the chair quick and breathless, she looks around and immediately sees Four sitting on the metal stool in front of the computer. She puts her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands, and attempts to catch her breath. When that doesn't work she stands, walks over and leans up against the wall in front of the table and computer.

"How long do you think you were in the hallucination Jade?" Four asks, Jade looks up at him. He looks stunned, "I don't know, 15-20 minutes maybe?" She answers, Four shakes his ahead. "A minute and a half, 5 times faster then the average." Four says, "I've never seen anyone do that on their first time." He adds. Four looks at her with his head slightly tilted, and his brows furrowed. Soon he looks back down at the computer screen, "How did you calm yourself so quickly?" He asks her casually, but the smile he gave her threw her off.

To Jade, it honestly seemed as if he knew something she didn't. Jade couldn't possibly tell him the thought of him calmed her down. Her heart rate picked up, her cheeks went red and her eyes became glued to the floor. "I uh, ..I just remembered what you told m-me before I went under. And I focused on my breathing." She answered nervously, praying he wouldn't notice it wasn't the truth. "Huh," He squints his eyes at her, "Well, next time it'll be a lot easier," Four says. "Wait I have to do that again?" Jade asks, "Yeah, you have to practice several times before the final. But, you're a natural. You got nothing to worry about." He compliments, "little do you know." Jade mutters under her breath, and luckily, he didn't hear her. Or . . . did he?