27

-November 15th-
~Jade's POV~

I sat on our aunt's couch as more tears pricked at my eyes. I stared down at the very photogenic picture of Liam. Miles wraps an arm around me, and I look to the side at him. He's smiling, but his eyes are like mine, swollen and wet. I smile back as another tear falls.

I can tell what he's feeling, he's relieved, just as I am. I look up at our aunt as she stares at us in pure confusion. Miles notices as well and pulls his arm from around me, and takes out our father's wedding band, and I do the same with our mother's. Our aunt gasped at the sight of the first ring, but then slapped a hand over her mouth at the second. "That Amity family? That was us. Your brother. . . Our father, and our mother June, had to make the hardest decision that day, and that decision was to choose only two out of the three of us to keep, and raise." I say, and the explanation came out dolefully.

Our aunt let her tears fall once again, "so this w-whole time, he's been my real nephew? . . . And the engraving on the ring?" She questioned looking nearly baffled. I nod my head with a smile, seeing her obvious tears of joy stain her cheeks. "The J + A .H. stands for June and Anthony Harris. Our father gave up his wedding ring with Liam when it was time to say goodbye to him." Miles says, letting his eyes fall in sadness at the thought. I lean my head on his shoulder in attempts to comfort him, and to also remind him that we found him. I eventually stand, and so does my aunt and brother.

We don't say anything, but we all know it was due time to let the one person finally know the truth, and that's Liam. I hug our aunt first, and then so does Miles, just before me and him leave to find our brother. We walk the halls of Dauntless, thinking of all the places he could be. We decide to check the pit first, like we were going to before running into our aunt. We descend through the tunnel, and scan the large sunlit hole in the ground.

I could see people all over the floor of the pit. I could see kids running around, people laughing and talking amongst one another. I watched as two men began to roughhouse in the center of the pit. It was an act that would be looked down upon if done in my old faction. But not here. Here it's an act of playfulness, an act of friendship.

I shake my head and focus back on the task at hand, and continue to search for Liam while walking beside Miles. Suddenly, I get this gut urge to look at the adjacent exit of the pit. I hesitate at first, but eventually I do. And there he was, leaving the pit alone. "There he is! Miles come on!" I raise my voice, and point at the same exit before running in that direction.

I can hear my brother's footsteps behind me just as I can hear my heart pound in my ears. Soon we were a good twelve feet behind him, then five feet, then two, we kept running until we were just behind him. He eventually noticed us, "Oh hey. What's up wonder twins?" He greets us, and the label felt undeniably strange, coming from Liam especially. And yet just a few days ago, it would've felt normal, and expected. "C-can we talk to you? In private?" I ask, and I couldn't stop my voice from shaking when I set eyes with him.

Hazel on hazel. It kind of felt like I was staring back at the male version of myself. He now looked at me and Miles with slight concern, "are you guys alright? Cuz like, you two look like you've been crying." He says. Me and Miles look at each other and realize he was right, his eyes were bloodshot and swollen. And I definitely didn't need a mirror to know mine were too.

"Trust me, all will be explained in due time." Miles says quietly, and he was right, the teared stained faces will all be cleared up once we break this life changing truth to him. "Alright, I'll take it whatever it is is serious?" He asks us, and I nod. "Serious would be an understatement in this case." I say, and he nods, "Let's go up to the roof so we can be alone then yeah?" He asks us, and we agree. We head towards, and then eventually up the flights of stairs that led to the roof of the large, red brick building. Once we all made it, Liam pushed open the door to the roof and cool air slapped my half wet face. My heart was still pounding in my ears from how anxious I was.