56

"You can either, god forbid, pull the trigger. Or," -"you can drop the gun, and come over here."

I look into my old beta leader's eyes, as he held the gun against his own head. I focus hard on the bullet that's in the chamber, preparing to grab it with my mind the moment he adds pressure to the finger he has wrapped around the trigger. A moment passes. And then another, of us just staring. "Please, Eric." I beg, and his bottom lip quivers as he shakes his head.

The gun waivers against his temple, "Just, come here," I say, and I point down at the floor right in front of me. He closes his eyes, and my heart drops. He pulls the trigger, and I panic, under the assumption he was going to give into that. I knock the gun away from his head instead of catching the bullet, like I thought I was going to. And thankfully, I did it just in time, and I also did to where no one else would get caught in the bullets line of fire.

He widens his eyes at me, but only for a second as he looks at the gun in confusion. But then, I think he realizes exactly what he almost just did, and looks at it in disgust. Right before dropping his arm, along with dropping the gun completely and walking over to me. Once he was close enough, I immediately embrace him. I embrace him like I would the man watching us hug, along with the abundance of armored Dauntless members.

The moment I pulled him to me, he tensed up for only a moment, before hugging me back. And I could feel his emotions through the way he held me. Sadness, love, and pain. I felt all three as he buried his face into my neck, and sobbed. I peek as Tobias walks over, and picks up the gun and disarms it. He holds me for a little longer, and releases me, obviously not wanting to let go.

Tobias orders two Dauntless members to walk over with his head hung low, and dismissed the others. And turn to see one of them with handcuffs, getting ready to restrain him, and I stop him from touching Eric. "There's absolutely no need for that, I'll escort Eric here to the infirmary. I got this." I simply say, glancing over at my fiancée before locking my arm around Eric's. "Fine, but both me and the guards will follow behind and they will be staying with Eric in the infirmary after you get him there." Tobias says matter-of-factly, and I can't help but roll my eyes a bit before walking with Eric out of the hall to the chasm. He either thinks I can't handle this, or he's afraid Eric will lash out again. And it damn well better be the latter because, if it's not, I'm not too sure how well we'll be able to manage this whole entire faction, together.

***

I hug Eric goodbye as Tobias waits outside along with the two guards, "I'll come visit you in the morning, to see how you're doing." I tell him, and he gives me a little side smile while sitting in the same infirmary bed I sat in, the night of war games. After I was told I was cut from initiation, by none other then Eric himself. "You're walking on thin ice here Natalie, so I suggest you tread lightly." I remember him saying to me, right after I made sure I was on that train. I've always wondered how he found out my name, so I decide to ask him. "I never really believed your name was Jade so, I asked Tobias for your file, and he gave it to me." He pauses, and I couldn't help but smile when he squinted his eyes and scrunched his nose, obviously trying to remember.

"He asked me why I wanted it and I told him the truth, I wanted to know your real name as a scare tactic, as to which I did. But uh," he pauses, "but now, obviously, it's clear that that wasn't the truth. I wanted to know your name because you were the only initiate that really caught my eye." He simply explains, leading his eyes back up to mine. They were getting brighter, less grey. They must change with his mood. "And uh, now that I think about it," he continues, and yet pauses, "When I asked if he wanted to know your first name, he surprisingly said no. And now I know why," he says, and I look at him, partially confused.