52

-August 31st, Saturday-

       ~Jade's POV~

"What?! Are you serious?" I ask him, with wide eyes. He nods his head, "Yeah, he's making the resignation announcement later today, which means I have to make my first speech as alpha." He confirms, and I hear his voice shake a little. He doesn't like being the center of attention when it comes to big big crowds, and now that Max has given him no choice, he's nervous. I straighten out the collar of his jacket with a smile on my face, and pull him closer to me. He runs his hands through his hair and he starts second guessing himself, "What if I suck as a leader? What if our whole faction starts to hate me?" He asks, and I simply shake my head.

"Don't you dare start doing that, I won't let you doubt yourself, especially now." I start with, and he looks down at me. "You're gonna be an amazing leader my love. Just like you were an amazing instructor. And I don't think you have to worry about them hating you, do you remember when Max gave you Eric's position? Do you remember the amount of people who raised their hands? They loved you before you were even a leader. You're the guy with only four fears, and as far as they know, you're also the guy who ranked top of his class but was too bad ass to take leadership, until now. Our people are fascinated by you because they don't actually know you, Tobias. They're basically like me, before we started dating. I always love that fact you resembled a book just sitting on a shelf. A book waiting to be read." I tell him, and I watch the corner's of his lips twitch into a smile a bit, "I mean, you're not wrong," He says, right before he shook his head and furrowed his eyebrows. "But what if I don't know what to say or something? Or worse, what if I have to make a huge decision for Dauntless and I choose wrong? And what about the meetings every month?" He questions, obviously upset. "Calm down love. And slow down too, in this very moment, you're still beta." I remind him, "And if you don't know what to say, all you got to do is practice on me. I'll be your faction." I also tell him. "And when that certain decision comes, I know you'll choose for the better. For the better of Dauntless. You've got this babe, I know you do. And if it gets to be too much, once again, you have me. I'll do whatever you need me to do." I add, and he gives me this look.

"Y'know," He start suspiciously, "Max did tell me I'm gonna need a step-in Beta, at least until after initiation and we test the top five ranked for leadership." He says, wiggling his eyebrows. I suppress a smile and shake my head, "Babe I am not cut out to be a leader, not even for a little bit." - "Come on, pleaseeee. And don't give me that; matter fact, you can't give me that. Did I ever tell you your percentage when we tested you for leadership?" He asks me, and I shake my head. "Ninety-five percent." He tells me, and I can't help but smile more. "Says the man who practically broke the machine when tested. You got an even one hundred. You're supposed to be a leader, not me." I remind him. He told me his percentage from when he was tested years ago, since he ranked first in his class.

"You know that was years ago, it may have changed. Speaking of which I might just take it again, for good measures." He says, and I roll my eyes. "And watch, an infinity sign is gonna pop up instead of a percentage." I say, and I made him laugh. "Stop inflating my ego, and be my beta-leader. At least for now. Miles can take over as transfer instructor for the rest of initiation." He begs, and he gives me his puppy dog eyes, and makes his bottom lip poke out. Ugh! He's such a big baby, "urghh, alright finneee. I can't say no to that face." I say, and he nearly jumps for joy, before kissing me all over my face. "Hehe, then that makes me your boss. You have to do everything I want now. Make me a sandwich." He jokes, "don't push it." I warn him, and we laugh.

***

"That's it, that's perfect. I really think you've got it babe." I tell him. He loved the idea of practicing on me so, after a bit of cuddling and a nap together, we did just that, after getting dressed too. And at first it was hard to focus since he was too cute using his little instructor-mode voice. Or more like, his leader-mode voice now. It's been amazing being able to watch him open up more and more to the idea of being a leader.