41

We make it back to our apartment, and he rolls the now empty drawer back into his bedside table. I stand near the door, thinking of my older brother. I'm worried about him, ever since Tris broke his heart. And now that I think about it, I've come to realize they already moved in together. Which means he's probably still at Lauren and Liam's apartment, avoiding Tris at all costs.

"I think I'm gonna go check on Miles, given he's probably around the corner at Lauren's. He's probably gonna want his things too, out of his and Tris's apartment." I say to Four, and he nods, "I'll come with you, since I wanna make sure me and him are on good terms. And to make sure you don't rip off Tris's head either." He says, and I shake my head. "You can come to check on Miles but, I won't be ripping off anyone's head so, you just stay there while I gather his things." - "Nope, I'm going with you. Cuz I know you, she says one wrong thing and you'll both be at each other's neck's." He says, pulling me out the door. I guess I have no choice in this. We make it in front of Lauren's apartment door and we knock, my younger brother answers the door. He's shirtless, messy haired, with some comfy pants on.

I must've woke him up. "Is he here? I assumed he would be still." I ask him, and Liam nods and points to the couch. "He sure is, I wouldn't let him go back to their apartment. Especially when he's like this." Liam says, Four and I walk in, and I see my brother laying down with a blanket over his head and body. I immediately frown when I hear him sniffling underneath. I sit on the piece of couch that his head was near, "Miles?" I say, trying to pull the covers from over his head but, he's holding them.

"I slept out here with him so he wouldn't be alone but, he's been like that ever since you left last night. I don't think he's been to sleep yet." Liam says to me, sitting back down on the loveseat he slept on. I look back down at my older brother, "Bubbie? It's me, your sister. Can I see your face please?" I ask softly, he stirs and sniffles again, and he takes the covers from over his head. His eyes were swollen and bloodshot, while his face was wet. When he see's me, he instantly scoots up and puts his head in my lap, and I glide my fingers through his hair, holding him. If I would've known he'd turn into a hermit crab, I would've never left.

"Liam go put on a shirt, and go with Four to get our brother's things. I'm gonna stay with him." I say, looking straight up at my brother. I'm sending him with Tobias so he can make sure Tris doesn't try anything. And even though I'm holding the brother that can read mind's, I get a reassuring nod and a slight wink from the brother that can't. Once they leave, I play with my brother's hair as he begins to weep on my lap. He eventually wraps his arms around me, turning his body, and crying into my shirt.

I hold my brother closer, shedding a few tears myself. I hold him, and I begin to feel his pain radiate. And the more it does, the more my feeling of sadness gets replaced with anger. My eyes flicker yet my tears continue to fall. But, before they could lock into solid gold, my brother starts to hum.

I look down at him, recognizing the melody he began to make. It's the same melody my mother hummed, the day of aptitude testing, when she was braiding my hair. This melody wasn't just a melody though, it was the melody behind me and Miles's favorite lullaby. She'd sing it to the both of us when it was time for bed, and it'd put my brother right to sleep, way before it did me. Only because I'd want to hear it; All of it. Sometimes I'd even sing it with her, and now, I have it memorized. I begin to sing it,

"

Baby mine, don't you cry. . .
Baby mine, dry your eyes. . .
Rest your head close to my heart
Never to part, baby of mine.

Little one when you play. . .
Don't pay mine what they say. . .
Let those eyes sparkle and shine
Never a tear, baby of mine. ♪