20

The two siblings and their Amity mother sat there in total silence. Miles was absolutely speechless with his jaw agape, and Jade on the other hand stared blankly at their mother. It was the type of stare where you could tell an abundance of things were going on inside of the mind of the person who directed it. And sadly for their mother, it was the exact stare she expected. So many emotions where building up inside Jade it overwhelmed her completely, "So you're telling me, you lied to the both of us?" She says to her, feeling her mouth run dry and a lump form inside of her throat. The rhetorical question didn't exactly come out hostile, it came out more in a huff of disbelief.

"Us? Your supposed 'twin' children for seventeen years? ...we've had a..." Jade trailed off, struggling to even say the word. "A sibling this whole time and both of you kept that from us? If that's not the truth then please, explain." Jade harshly whispered to her mother. She held back the fiery rage she now held against her mother, only because she wasn't sure if what she assumed to be the truth, was in fact the truth. "No no no, it's not like that at all. I'd never purposely do something like this to you two. When all three of you were cleaned and bundled up, Johanna reminded us of one of Amity's rules," their emotionally frantic mother explains, "An Amity household can only consists of four members per family. A mother, A father, and only two children. To keep the peace. We wanted to keep all three of you, I mean you're our babies for god's sake." She pauses, "But it was that day, for the first time, Johanna had asked me and your dad the impossible. S-she asked us to only choose two of you to raise." She says sorrowfully. "And we couldn't even do that. Johanna had to choose for us. I could barely watch her pick up your brother. I wanted all three of you. We wanted all of three you. But we couldn't have all of you." She adds as tears began to stain her cheeks. Jade struggled to keep her emotions together as her bottom lip began to quiver. Her vision then began to blur by her own forming tears.

"Brother? It.. it was a boy?" Miles breaths, wiping his face from tears. "We have a little brother?" Miles asks still in disbelief, their mother looks to him and slowly nods. "William, his name's William." Their mother tells them, and her children look at one another. Jade looks back at their mom, "Where... where is he?" She asked. "He was given to a kind lady who couldn't have children. Johanna told me she were to be trusted, and I couldn't do anything but trust her and I hoped that one day, I'd get to see my little William again." She answers her, Jade put her elbows on the table in front of her and rubbed her temples.

"Which faction?" Miles asked impatiently, looking at his mother. "For the seventeen years he's been here, at Dauntless." The saddened mother slowly says, and the both of their hearts sunk at the thought of being under the same roof as him and not knowing. That is until they remember their choosing ceremony, and the possibly of him choosing to leave Dauntless. "And at the choosing ceremony, he choose to stay in Dauntless. That was closest me and your father had ever been to him in years." Their mother explains, Jade lightly scoffs while her brother leaned down and put his hands over his face. "So we've literally been training near him this whole time? Great. We've probably walked passed him so many times without a clue he's our brother." Miles says into his hands, "Oh and just wait until we find him and try to explain to him he's our brother. I wonder how that's gonna go." Jade says, and their mother oddly enough pulls her wedding ring off.

"And this is the exact reason why your father decided to give up his wedding ring, and sent it off with along with William. Look at what your father hand engraved on the inside of it." Their mother handed her daughter her gold wedding band. Jade looked close at the inside and could read, 'Family, Before Faction. J + A .H.' engraved in small letters, before passing it to Miles. "Your fathers band has the same saying, and same lettering. If you find him and you see him with the same band, show him mine and he'll have to be convinced." Their mother suggests they do, and no matter how upset they were with her, they agreed it was a good plan. Jade had just one more question, "One more thing, why keep it from us these past three-four years? We were obviously mature enough to understand then, why tell us right now?" She questions her, their mother ponders for just a second. "I wanted to wait until after your choosing day, because the last thing I wanted is for either one of you, or both of you to choose Dauntless only for the sake of your brother and get there to realize he choose to leave. I just didn't want to risk giving you a biological reason to choose Dauntless and be stuck in a faction that you only chose because of him." She explains, "But obviously all three of my babies are just like their father, Dauntless-born at heart." Her mother says to them fondly, but Jade could only focus on the words 'Dauntless-Born.'. She remembers something.