Four

Alice's POV

When we arrived at school, it was practically empty outside, except for the teachers cars and a few students who did sports and band.

As I removed my helmet, I looked around and saw Maeve sat on the school steps, smiling at her phone. She looked up and when she saw Otis and I, she stood up and made her way over.

"Here's what's happening. We have our first client. Otis will go talk to her and whilst he's handling that business , you and me will be just outside doing some work. Sound good? Brilliant, let's go." She said walking in the direction of the old toilets.

I turned to look at Otis and he just shrugged his shoulders.

"Are you coming or not?" Maeve shouted.

I took off in a slow jog, attempting to catch up with Maeve who was walking quite fast. Otis caught up to us, just as we reached the toilets.

"Good luck." Maeve said sitting down on the wall just outside the toilets as Otis walked inside. "Okay so, you have to write a poem for English?" She asked as she took a pad of paper and a pen out of her bag.

"Yeah but I'm not good with creative writing."

"Poems are quite easy though. You don't have to make poems rhyme all the time either."

"But where do I start?" I sighed as I leaned against the wall.

"What's the topic?"

"It's whatever we want."

Maeve nodded her head and she began to think.

"Write about something close to your heart."

"There's nothing."

Maeve began to bite her thumb nail as she began to think again. "Do you have any pets?"

"Nope."

"A boyfriend?"

"Nope."

"Girlfriend?"

"No! I'm not fucking gay! Do I look gay to you?! No. I'm not. So shut up!" I snapped, I don't even know why I snapped at her.

"Alright! Don't get bitchy, I was just trying to help. I'll not bother next time." She snapped back, shoving the paper and pen back into her bag.

"I'm sorry. I don't know where that came from." I apologised  sincerely.

"It probably came from deep down inside. Somewhere inside, your heart knows you're gay but your brain is choosing to ignore it and that puts you into defense mode." She paused and jumped off the wall. "Or maybe you're just a bitch."

I'm not a bitch. I'm not gay either, atleast I don't think so. I've never had a boyfriend and I don't find them attractive, not in the way I'm supposed to as a straight person anyway...I could look at Maeve and think she's attractive in a way that I should think about boys.

I don't have feelings for her but I do think she's attractive?? Does that make me gay?

No, no it doesn't. I can appreciate another girls beauty without being gay.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" I asked changing the subject.

"I don't do relationships. Closest thing I have going is just fucking with Jackson."

"So you and Jackson huh?" I felt my heart drop and I didn't understand why.

"Like I said. It's just sex. Nothing else to it."

"If you say so." I laughed.

"I do say so. I just did. I'm Maeve Wiley, I don't do relationships."

"Why?" I asked placing my hands on the wall. I pushed myself up so I could sit on it.

"I'm not exactly built for relationships." She said looking down at the ground.

"Sure you are. You might not think it now but one day there will be someone who comes into your life and makes you feel and think all sorts of different things. They'll make you feel beautiful, loved, wanted and special. You'll be happy and you'll be safe with them. It's not a case of, if. It's when because there's someone out there for us all we just have to wait until life says its the right time."

Maeve looked up at me, a small smile on her face. "Now that was poetic."