Twenty Five

Alice's POV

I walked down countless streets. Tears streaming down my face. I had been betrayed by my own brother and the man I considered a brother.

I was so angry. I was hurt. I was devestated. Heart broken...I was lost.

I didn't know where I was going. I was just letting my feet do whatever. All I know, is that I wanted to be far away from Otis, Eric and Jackson.

My feet eventually stopped moving and when I looked around, I realised I was at the caravan site that Maeve lived at.

I wiped my eyes and cheeks before walking to her home. I knocked on the door and waited patiently.

She opened the door and when she saw it was me, she opened it slightly wider.

"Did you know?"

"No." I shook my head. "I would've told you."

She sighed and stepped back, allowing me inside. I closed the door behind me and saw a note on the table.

"My brother...He left. Again."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm used to it."

I removed my jacket and rested it over the table. I loosened my tie as I rested my back against the kitchen counter.

"This has been a really shitty night huh?"

"Yep." Maeve replied as she stood in front of me. "The first school dance I attend and...It goes to shit."

I laughed and looked down. "Guess happiness isn't meant for us."

"You're not happy?"

I looked up and shook my head. "No."

"Why? You got a girlfriend. A brother that actually gives a damn about you...A loving Mother...You're living the best life."

"Am I? Am I really?" I asked, feeling myself wanna burst out how I truely feel but I'm scared. "Sure, I got loving family. I'm not even with Hailee...But I am missing something huge. I don't have the person I love and that's keeping me from being happy because I see her happy with someone else and I long for that to be me but it never will be."

"Don't let someone keep you from being happy. They're not worth it."

"They are though. She is. She is worth so much. I don't regret a minute we spend together. I love being the reason she laughs or smiles."

"Stop.."

"Maeve." I grabbed her hands and looked into her eyes. It was now or never. "I...I don't want those assholes to ruin our night. So." I grabbed my phone out of my pocket and went on to my music and hit shuffle. "Let's have our own party."

The music began to play and I pushed Maeve backwards gently as I began to dance.

"You're so silly." She laughed.

"I know." I winked as I grabbed her hands and pulled her towards me.

She laughed even more as I twirled and dipped her.

"Let's see your best dance move."

"In this dress? I don't think so."

"Take your dress off then."

Maeve and I just stared at eachother in shock before bursting out into laughter.

"Take me out for dinner first yeah?" She joked.

I wrapped my arms around her waist and she wrapped hers around my neck, similar to how we were back at school, except we were much closer this time.

"And where would you like to go for dinner?"

"Well, seeing as how I'm such a classy girl...Pizza Hut."

"Pizza Hut...Alright."

A new song began to play and I couldn't help but sing along this time.

"Tell me, what you're crying for. I'll wipe your tears, oh love."

"Really? You're gonna sing?" Maeve rolled her eyes and groaned.

"If your soul is aching love, we'll comfort you for sure. If we're caught, in a wave, I will carry you over. It don't matter where you are, I'll run to your front door."

"Ughhh, stop singing."

"My singing isn't that bad is it?" I pouted.

"I mean...."

"How rude!"

Maeve laughed and rested her forhead against mine, she took me by surprise when she began to sing instead. "You could put an ocean between our love, love, love. It won't keep us apart. You could build a wall, I will run it up, up, up. Just to get to your heart. If we're caught in a wave. Baby, we'll make a way. You could put an ocean between our love, love, love. It won't keep us apart."

We had gotten even closer, our lips were touching slightly.

"Maeve..." I said quietly.

"Alice..." She replied in the same tone.

I was about to kiss her but she pulled back slightly.

"We can't...You're with Hailee."

"I'm not with her."

"I'm with Jackson."

"Even after what he did, you wanna be with him?" I asked slightly hurt.

Maeve was silent for a moment before she moved closer. "No."

"Maeve..."

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

My heart was beating so fast. I had finally told Maeve how I felt. No hallucinations. No dreaming. No nothing. It was real.

Maeve was about to close the small gap between us when loud knocking on the door broke us apart.

Maeve composed herself as she answered the door.

"I...I had a fight with my Mums. I walked out and I didn't know where else to go...Can...Can I stay here?"

Maeve turned to look at me and I gave her a pleading look. She gave me an 'I'm sorry' look. "Yeah, come in."

I shook my head and grabbed my jacket. As Jackson walked in, I walked out.

I told Maeve that I love her and that...That is how she responds. Sure, it would've been a kiss but she let Jackson into her home, even after what he did.

Why does the bad shit happen to me?