Nineteen

Alice's POV

Maeve and her brother continued to argue outside. I wanted to help her...I don't know how I'd do that. Maybe just support her?

I removed the covers from my body as I slowly moved my legs over the edge of the bed. I gripped my stomach as I stood up, wincing in pain.

That'll teach me for fighting.

I saw my shirt on the floor and as I bent down to pick it up, I had to bite my lip to stop me shouting a bunch of swear words.

I tried to grab it again but the pain literally brought tears to my eyes as I tried.

I stiffly walked towards Maeve's wardrobe and grabbed the first shirt I saw.

She wouldn't mind me wearing her clothes, atleast I hope she didn't.

"Bastard." I whispered to myself as I put my arms through the sleeves. "Fucking bastard bitch."

I slowly did the buttons up and just as I was finished, Maeve stormed back inside.

"So you want money? Is that it?" She asked turning to look at her brother as he slowly stepped in.

"No." He shook his head. "I wanna be a good brother to you. I wanna come home."

I walked towards Maeve and placed my hand on her back, she looked at me and gave me a small smile before she turned to look at her brother again.

"You missed the anniversary of Nan's passing."

"I know and I'm sorry. I got stuck in Dubai."

"Bullshit."

"Alright I was stuck in Amsterdam."

"Oh I bet you were. You were high as fuck too huh? Whilst I was here, bawling my fucking eyes out you were getting high. I needed you! I fucking needed you!"

"It doesn't look like you need me or even needed me then either." He said starting to raise his voice. "You have your girlfriend!"

"We're not together." I said. "She..Has a boyfriend. I'm just a friend."

"And that's why you were in bed together?" He asked crossing his arms.

"We were in bed together because I got into some trouble and she helped me."

"Oh, I bet she did." He smirked.

"Sean, just please shut. The. Fuck. Up!" Maeve said getting annoyed.

I lifted my shirt up, showing him the bandage and the small amount of bruising above the bandage.

"I'm sorry." He apologised.

I lowered the shirt and squeezed Maeve's arm. "I'm gonna go home. I'll give you, your shirt back tomorrow okay?"

Maeve nodded her head and I tried to walk as fast as I could out of her home.

As I limped away, I couldn't help but wonder if she'd be okay. I don't know her brother so I don't know what he's like but on the other hand, I knew what a tough bitch she was.

That tough bitch could be the softest, most caring person...I think that's a side only I've seen and it drove me crazy.

I fell for this mean girl but yet, she's not even mean. She's kind, caring, sweet...Her touch is soft and gentle...I was so close to feeling her lips but that didn't happen...Maybe it wasn't meant to be...Fate just pulled us away and I gurantee it would happen again.

I'll never forget what she did for me. She was like my guardian angel, as cliché as that is...She saved me.

"ALICE!"

I looked up to see that I was home, I was so lost in thought that I didn't even realise I had arrived.

Otis and Mum ran towards me, being careful not to hurt me.

"Oh my darling." Mum said as tears filled her eyes as she looked at my face. "Did Maeve take you to the hospital?"

I shook my head as Mum led me inside.

"Okay, sit on the sofa and I'll see what I can do."

With Otis's help, I slowly sat down. I began to unbutton my shirt and Otis turned around.

Mum sat down next to me and she removed the bandage. She gasped as she saw all of the bruising.

"How's Eric?"

"I won't lie." Otis began. "He's a mess. He blames himself for this."

"It was my choice to get involved."

Otis sniffled and I scrunched my eyebrows up in confusion.

"Otis?"

"It's all my fault." He turned around as a tear rolled down his cheek. "If I didn't leave him to help Maeve with something then none of this would've happend. I'm so sorry."

I slowly stood up and practically threw my arms around him. He held me tightly but not too tight.

"Don't be daft." I laughed, trying to hide the fact I was wincing. "It wasn't your fault. It was mine, I provoked the men."

Otis began to cry properly and it broke my heart, I've never seen him cry like this before.

"I also have something to tell you guys."

I felt like I might as well tell them about me being gay because after this morning I knew for sure I was gay and that I had hopelessly fallen for Maeve...But they didn't need to know that just yet.

"What is it?" Otis asked pulling away and wiping his eyes.

I sat back down on the sofa and patted the space next to me. Otis sat down and I grabbed both his and Mum's hand.

"Lately I've found out a few things about myself...The big thing I found out though is that...Well...I'm gay. I like girls."

Mum and Otis remained silent. I looked at them both to see they were looking at eachother.

"Was that supposed to be shocking?" Otis asked.

"What do you want for tea tonight? I thought we could order Chinese?"

I gave them both confused looks and they looked completely lost. Why weren't they asking me questions like, am I sure? Or how do I know?

"You guys aren't bothered?"

"Alice...Sweetie." Mum smiled. "We already knew."

My jaw dropped and I looked at Otis who nodded his head.

"We also know...You have a thing for Maeve." He said slowly.

Well this just gets better and better...Who else knows? Does Maeve know?! Wait, that's a good thing if she knew right?!

I smiled to myself and slowly leaned into my Mum. "I love you Mum."

"I love you too Darling..I'm so proud of you."

My heart skipped a beat as I sat up. Mum pushed some hair behind my ears as tears filled my eyes.

For so long I have waited for her to say that and now she had...My Mum was finally proud of me.

"Why are you crying?"

"You're proud of me."

Mum tilted her head forward and laughed. "I've always been proud of you. Not once have you made me disapointed...If I've made you feel like that then I apologise. I don't care about your school work as long as you try your best then that's all that matters. Every day I'm more proud of the woman you're becoming."

Mun had always been proud of me...Wow. That was really surprising to me.

"I love you guys so much." I said as I reached out for Otis's hand.

"We love you too." Mum said as she kissed the top of my head.