Eight

Alice's POV

I was in the middle of a deep sleep when I got woken up by Otis barging into my room.

"Maeve is here. Freshen up quick."

"Uh. What time's it?" I mumbled, I wasn't even sure I spoke proper English.

"It's bang on, half past three."

I groggily threw the covers off my body and noticed I was still in the clothes from the party.

"Tell her, I'ms showering."

"Why do you sound drunk?" Otis laughed.

"Lack of sleep perhaps." I rubbed my eyes and stood up. "Get out. I'm going to shower."

Otis sniffed the air and pulled a face. "Good idea."

"Shut up." I groaned, grabbing a pillow that was at the end of my bed. I threw it at him but he quickly shut the door. "Asshole."

- - -

After getting in the shower, brushing my teeth and getting into some fresh clothes, I felt much more awake than I did before.

I walked down the stairs and saw Mum, Otis and Maeve sat at the kitchen table, drinks in front of them.

"Nice of you to finally join us." Otis grinned.

"Shut up." I rolled my eyes and sat on the chair, closest to Maeve.

"Maeve was just telling us how you tended to her hand." Mum smiled brightly at me.

"She punched the idiot that was trying to make me do coke with him. It was the least I could do."

"He's always been an idiot. I had the perfect excuse to hit him."

"Thank you for looking out for her."

"No problem."

"She's also tutoring Alice." Otis said with a smirk.

"Oh, really?" Mum asked surprised. "You never told me that."

"I didn't see a reason to."

"Thank you, Maeve. You're such a lovely girl."

"Thank you." Maeve replied shyly.

I could tell she was getting uncomfortable, she probably wasn't used to all of this attention...Good attention anyway.

"I love your hair and nose ring." Mum said as she leaned forward to get a closer look. "Did it hurt? Your nose I mean, not your hair."

Maeve laughed and my ears perked up slightly. I've never heard Maeve laugh like that before. It was cute. I smiled as she began to talk to my Mum about getting her nose done.

I glanced over at Otis and his eyes were flickering between Maeve and I. He caught me looking and he quickly grabbed his drink and took a sip.

"This tea is really incredible." He smirked at me.

"Why you being weird?" I asked, feeling myself become angry.

"I'm not." Otis defended himself.

"Yes, you are. You're always weird but lately you've been exceptionally more weird? Do you have a crush on Maeve or something?!"

"No!"

"No offense but you're not my type." Otis and Maeve spoke at the same time.

"Alice, calm down. Count to ten. Take deep breaths." Mum said trying to get me to calm down.

"Stop trying to treat me like one of your patients. I'm allowed to be angry for fuck sake."

"I know but remember what happend the last time you got angry."

I ran a hand through my hair and quickly stood up from the table. As I walked towards the balcony I clenched and un clenched my fists. I hated being like this. Having so much anger inside and not being able to get rid of it.

Once I reached outside, I placed my hands on the rail and squeezed tightly.

"I used to hold a lot of anger in too."

Maeve walked towards me and she stood beside me.

"I hear that it helps if you talk about it."

"Well I don't want to." I snapped.

"Alright, I'm just trying to help." Maeve replied calmly. "I'm here if you want to talk though."

I glanced towards her and watched as she took a cigerette box out of her jacket.  "I got nothing to do so I could stay here all day."

I looked down and sighed. "I have so much hatered and anger inside of me and it's all my Dads fault. He cheated on my Mum and he ruined the family.  Otis caught him fucking one of his patients...I didn't realise what was happening at the time...Not until five years ago. I started to realise he was an awful man."

"Is that what your Mum was talking about? The last time you got angry?"

"No." I turned around and rested my back on the rail. "She was talking about two years ago. Some girl thought it would be a good idea to bring up my Dad...The only reason she knew was...Was because it turned out he had an affair before he fucked his patient. He had a whole other family. I saw red and I attacked her. Otis and my Mum try to do everything they can do to stop me being angry but I can't help how I feel. The smallest thing fucks me off because of the amount of anger I hold."

Maeve nodded her head and was tempted to take a drag of her cigerette but instead she threw it to the ground and stood on it. "I get it. My Dad walked out on me, my brother and my Mum when I was about four. My Mum left us three years later. She couldn't cope with us on her own so she went to the dark side. She did drugs and she got addicted...As you do. She chose drugs over her children...Now it's just me and my brother...When he decides to be around."

"I'm sorry."

Maeve smiled at me and shook her head. "Don't be. It's life. It can be good or it can be utter shit."

"You're right." I smiled back.

Talking to Maeve helped alot. I no longer felt angry...I felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

"Hey so...I was wondering if you'd be able to meet me somewhere tomorrow." Maeve asked looking down.

"Me?"

"Well yeah, who else am I talking to?"

"Sorry, yeah. Sure. Where do you want me to meet you?"

"I'll text you the location later. For now though...Go apologise to your Mum and Otis."

"Yes ma'am."

"Don't ever call me that again." She warned.

"What will you do if I call you that?"

She took a step closer to me and I could feel my heart begin to beat faster and I held my breath.

"You have no idea what I'm capable of doing so it's best not to find out." She said seriously. She stared into my eyes for a few seconds before she burst out into laughter. "I'm messing with you!" She slapped my arm. "I'd probably just hit you and I don't wanna hurt my knuckles again."

She walked away and I let out the breath I was holding...What is happening to me? I've never  behaved this way before. This is strange...I should probably talk to Eric..