Twenty Eight

Alice's POV

The Next Day

Maeve and I walked hand in hand to the abortion clinic. She didn't come to this decision easily but it was the one she chose. She also decided not to tell Jackson and I respected her decision.

I could tell she was nervous because she had her head down and she was biting her thumb nail.

"Hey."

"Hmm?" She asked looking up at me.

"I love you."

She smiled and looked back down. "I love you too."

Now it was my turn to smile, I let go of her hand and wrapped my arm around her shoulders. She leaned into me and I kissed the side of her head.

We reached the clinic and she moved away from me. She didn't go inside, she just stared at the door.

"Are you sure about this? It's absolutely fine if you wanna turn around and go back home."

Maeve let out a deep breath and shook her head. "I can't...Be a Mother. For so many reasons."

"Okay, then let's do this. Together, yeah?"

Maeve nodded her head and I opened the door. Maeve walked inside and I closed the door behind me.

I sat down on one of the chairs in the waiting area as Maeve spoke to the receptionist.

Maeve soon joined me with a form she had to sign. As she did that, I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I cringed at the amount of texts and missed calls...It was my own fault, I haven't been home since yesterday afternoon.

"I'm just gonna call my Mum." I said standing up.

"Okay." Maeve said looking up at me with a smile before returning back to the form.

I walked outside as I pressed call. It didn't ring for long as I heard my Mum's tired voice.

"Alice, are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

"Why didn't you come home? Why didn't you answer our calls and texts?"

"I...Got distracted but I was safe. I was with Maeve."

"Oh yeah! Angel got some!" I heard Eric say in the background.

Even though Maeve and I were together, I was still mad at Otis and Eric.

"It wasn't like that." I lied. "I just didn't want to be around Otis so..."

"She's never going to forgive me." I barely managed to hear him say.

"I will in time but I feel really bloody betrayed. So does Maeve."

I turned around as I heard knocking on the door. Maeve gestured for me to come inside.

"I gotta go guys. Be home later. Bye." I hung up quickly and walked inside.

"Can you sign this please? To say you'll be taking me home? In order for me to have the abortion, someone has to be with me."

"Of course." I took the form from her and signed my name and handed it back to her.

"Thanks." She said as she handed it to the receptionist.

"The nurse will be with you shortly."

Maeve and I returned to our seats and I put my arm around her. She leaned on me, resting her head on my shoulder.

"This better not count as a first date." She said.

"Of course not...Our first date is Pizza Hut." I joked.

Maeve laughed weakly before sighing.

"What's wrong?"

"I just...It doesn't matter."

"Come on, talk to me Maeve."

"I don't deserve you."

"Hey, why do you think that?"

"You're this wonderful, nice girl. You're so kind and caring. Why would you wanna be with a fuck up like me?"

I moved my arm and sat up straighter. Maeve moved to sit up too but she kept her head down.

"You are not a fuck up." I grabbed her hands and held them tightly. "You hear me?"

"But I'm pregnant and about to have an abortion."

"That doesn't make you a fuck up. That makes you a strong woman. It takes so much strength to decide something like this. You have so much strength inside of you Maeve Wiley. You're stronger than anyone else I know."

"What did I do to deserve you?" She asked looking up at me.

"I could ask you the same thing."

Maeve leaned in to kiss me but the nurse called her name, causing us to break apart.

"Really? Even now we're together, people are still stopping us from kissing." I groaned.

"Nope." Maeve said as she leaned forward and kissed my lips slowly. "Please be here when it's over."

"Of course I will...I have to be now anyway, I signed that form."

Maeve stood up and followed the nurse, leaving me alone. I crossed my arms and watched the TV that was on a shelf in the corner of the room. I wasn't paying much attention though, I was too busy thinking about Maeve.

I hope she'll be okay.