Twenty Two

Alice's POV

I had a free period so I thought I'd chill in the library. Not many people go there so maybe I could get some peace.

The library was pretty much empty except for the librarian and one or two students.

I grabbed my phone and my headphones, wanting a distraction from thinking about Maeve, Jackson and Hailee. I plugged my headphones into my phone and put the earbuds in my ears as I hit shuffle.

I sighed happily as break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored by Ariana Grande began to play. I slightly mouthed the words as I sat on the sofa before slowly laying down, wincing slightly as I felt the familiar pain on my stomach.

The song soon ended and it was followed by, Hold My Girl by George Ezra. The further into the song I got, the more I thought about Maeve and I couldn't be doing with it.

Skip.

Nothing Breaks Like A Heart by Miley Cyrus.

Skip.

Dancing With A Stranger by Sam Smith and Normani.

Skip.

Why did all of these songs have to remind me about Maeve? For once, I just don't wanna think about her. It's painful enough as it is, seeing her with Jackson all the time.

I decided listening to music wasn't the best idea so I removed my earphones and turned my music off, just as Hailee entered the library.

"I was not expecting to find you here."

"Where else would I be? Behind the bike shed smoking? In the old toilets doing a line? In all honesty, I'm just tired. I wanted some peace so I came here."

"You seem really stressed..."

I sighed and put my head in my hands. "I am. I'm stressed. I'm hurting in more ways than one and I just want time to stop for one second so I can process everything."

"What's wrong?" Hailee asked as she sat beside me.

I turned my body to face her and she grabbed my hands gently. She used her thumb to stroke the top of my hand and I relaxed slightly.

"Have you ever liked...Or loved someone you can never have?"

Hailee nodded her head slowly. "Yeah. I have."

"Seeing them with someone else...It fucking hurts."

"It does." She agreed. "But it gets easier to deal with."

"Does it?"

Hailee smiled and leaned forward. "It does. It may not feel like it but it does."

I looked down but Hailee gently placed a finger under my chin and made me look up at her.

"I don't know who has you feeling this way but just know, I'm here for you...Just like you were there for me when I needed someone."

For the second time, I got lost in her eyes. They were beautiful, she was beautiful...I wanted nothing more than to kiss her.

But did I really want that?

Hailee seemed to answer that when she leaned even further and closed the gap between us.

Holy shit.

My first kiss.

I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do so I just stayed still. I held my breath, not knowing if I should breathe on her or not.

"Oh." A quiet voice said. "Sorry."

I pulled away to see Maeve stood there but she turned around.

"Maeve."

"I came to get you because Headmaster Groff is making you and me help out the party organisers but you're clearly busy..."

I stood up as quick as I could and placed my hand gently on Maeve's back.

"She kissed me."

"Does it matter? You kissed her back...Not that it's an issue."

"I think we both know that it could be an issue." I whispered, giving her a look that would remind her about our almost kiss.

"It's not an issue. I'm with Jackson, you're...Whatever with Hailee." Maeve squeezed my arm gently. "Just be at the gym hall in five minutes."

With that, Maeve quickly walked out of the library, leaving me with Hailee.

"It's her."

"What is?" I asked turning around.

"Who has you hurting."

"No." I said quickly."

"Yes."

"No."

"Who else could it be?"

"You." I lied quickly.

"Me?" Hailee asked confused as she stood up.

"Yeah, after our almost first kiss I felt something for you but you didn't show any interest in me."

Hailee laughed and walked towards me, she wrapped her arms around my neck and I wrapped mine around her waist.

"I've shown alot of interest in you but you seemed to only show interest in me...In a friend way."

"Guess we're both blind huh?" I laughed nervously.

Why am I doing this? What is wrong with me?!

"Would you...Maybe wanna go to the dance with me?" Hailee asked resting her forhead against mine.

"S-sure."

Hailee smiled and pecked my lips.

What have I done?