Thirteen

Alice's POV

It didn't take me long to reach the shop, maybe about five minutes but five minutes was enough time to bump into a few people and get weird looks. I didn't care though, it was fun...Until Jackson came.

Hailee was sitting on the steps outside of the shop but she stood up when she saw me.

"Why are you all wet?" She asked confused.

"I thought it'd be a good idea to go for a swim in my clothes?"

"Okay then...So...Can you help me?"

I sat down on the steps and Hailee sat next to me.

"Talk to me, what's up?"

Hailee sighed and shuffled her feet slightly. "Lately...I've been realising certain things about myself...I've experienced feelings that I've never experienced before. I've looked at people differently...If that makes sense?"

"I think it does a little but could you be more specific?" I asked shuffling closer to her.

"To be blunt, I think I'm gay...Or atleast bi. I've found myself more attracted to girls and I can see myself with a girlfriend, kissing, holding hands, having sex...But I'm scared."

"What are you scared of?"

"I'm scared of what my parents will think, my friends...What if they hate me?"

I placed my hand on top of hers and turned to face her. "I can't promise that they won't hate you, I'm sorry...But. Life is too short. Face your fears head on. If you want to say something, say it. If you wanna do something, do it. If you love someone, tell them." I smiled slightly to myself, thinking of what Maeve had told me, minutes earlier. "Embrace who you are. Be proud of who you are. Don't change for anyone and don't let anyone try to change you. You're gay? Or you're bi? You're into girls either way and that's fantastic. It's not gonna be easy to come out...But as long as you're happy with who you are, then that's all that matters."

Hailee looked up, tears in her eyes. "Have you ever experienced anything like this?"

I nodded my head. "I have. Absolutely. I'm experiencing it now. I think I'm gay too but I'm scared to tell my brother and Mum. Only you and Eric know."

"I'm sure Otis and your Mum will be happy for you and love you no matter what." Hailee smiled leaning forward.

I tilted my head to the side as I used my thumb to wipe the tear that rolled down her cheek. "Aren't I supposed to be giving you advice?"

"We can give eachother advice. Call it my payment because I literally have no money?" She asked giving me a pleading look.

"I wasn't going to ask you for money anyway." I didn't realise my thumb was still on her cheek until Hailee moved back slightly. I coughed and slid back slightly. "I'm not looking for money, I just wanna help."

"Thanks."

Hailee was about to stand up but I grabbed her wrist. She hissed in pain and I gave her a confused look. Her eyes darted towards her sleeve and I scrunched my eyebrows up. I gently lifted her sleeve up and my lips parted in shock and in sadness.

"Hailee..."

"Don't judge me okay? Don't call me an attention seeker. Don't give me some big speech about how it won't help. You have no idea what this secret has done to me. You have no idea what my life is like." She began to cry but I just stared at her wrist. "My Dad is cheating on my Mum. My Mum is an alcoholic. I'm failing in all of my lessons. This is the only way I can let out all of the hurt, all of the anger and all of the stress."

I didn't say anything, I just pulled her sleeve down and wrapped my arms around her. Hugging her, holding her, showing her I'm there.

"I don't want to die. I don't do it because I wanna die...I do it because it stops the pain." She pulls away and I wipe her tears away once again.

"Hailee, if you ever feel like doing this again please talk to me. I will help you with any of your problems the best that I can...But this has to stop." I gently grabbed her wrist. "I've not experienced this but I can guess its not good."

"I can't just stop." She pulled her arms away.

"I know, it's a steady process...But I'll help you. I'm here for you Hailee."

Hailee wrapped her arms around my neck and I wrapped mine around her waist, giving her the biggest and tightest hug I could possibly give her.

"Thank you."

She pulled back, keeping her arms around my neck. We just stayed there, looking into eachothers eyes.

"Hailee..." I whispered, feeling myself become breathless around her.

"Yes?"

"Can...Can I k-" I cut myself off as I saw someone in the corner of my eye.

I turned my head slightly to see Maeve stood there. When she saw me, she quickly walked away.

I stood up from the steps and ran towards where she was stood.

"Maeve!" I shouted.

She didn't turn around, instead she flipped me the bird as she continued to walk away.

What was her problem?!