Chapter Fifty Five

And I wonder if I ever cross your mind?
For me it happens all the time.
It's a quarter after one, I'm all alone and I need you now.
Said I wouldn't call but I've lost all control and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without.
I just need you now.

-Need You Now by Lady Antebellum-

-Chase-

I wasn't able to race and defeat Greg on my birthday. Sucks big time.

However Veronica has severe asthma attacks and when she fainted that day got me worried.

I don't love her like I did Kara but I care for her anyway.

We rushed her to a hospital near the vicinity and her vitals were stabilized. The doctor said she was to be discharged tomorrow and I am relieved to know she wasn't pregnant or something.

"Babe, saan ka pupunta? Don't leave me." She whined. I was a bit sick of her parents scolding me that I am not taking good care of her.

"I need to go back." I replied but she held my hand.

"The event can go on without you. Please stay! I'm sick oh!"

"I am tired of your theatrics, Veronica. Get some rest and I need to go." I said and went out.

Her parents saw me walking away but I didn't stop by to talk. I went back to the event and saw that it had started without me.

"Dude, how's Veronica? Is she okay?" Jay asked while looking at the monitor.

"Yeah. How's the race?" I asked and watched as well. I held my binoculars and saw Kara among the crowd.

"Tis okay. Boring actually. Too bad you weren't there but hey you're safe and Kace was so happy." He replied.

She was so freaking hot in her outfit and I forced myself not to look longer.
My thoughts were distracted when one of the cars hit another one thus causing a minor accident. Good thing no one was badly wounded or worst died.

The event ended successfully albeit the earlier's disaster. I went back to the hospital to check on Veronica then went back home. She was very upset of course but I am not going to sleep in the hospital with her parents hovering like hawks.

As I lay on my bed, my thoughts were on Kara. Her face, her lips and the perfect way she felt in my arms.

I needed to know if there's a spark of hope left between us.

"Tomorrow." I said to myself and smiled.

The Anniversary

I woke up and was bombarded with Veronica's calls and texts which I ignored.

Today was the 26th of September which is a significant date.

It was the day Kara and I became official.

The time she left three years ago, I would always drive to her house hoping she'd come back but it only broke my heart seeing the empty house. It was silly but a guy can hope too.

I went to my closet and took the leather jacket I always wore in high school and her helmet which I kept all these years.
I was whistling when I took a shower and got dressed.

I am going to see my Amazon Girl.

Damn the wedding. It can wait.

As I drove my way using my baby again for the first time, I felt like a high school again, off to fetch his girlfriend.

My heart somersaulted at the sight of her outside looking a bit sad.

"What can I do to make you smile?" I asked and she was startled to see me.