5. Signed Up

"Boy stays back."
Just three words and I stopped in my track.
My ass-owner left.

Now it was just the two of us, and I couldn't wait to leave.
He just looked at me without moving or so much as blinking.
I didn't know what to do so I stood straight looking at the wall behind him.

"Why won't you look into my eyes, officer? Scared?"
Damn!

"I've been taught it's rude to behave that way, Commander."
Where did those words come from?

He laughed and got loose.
"At ease."

I changed my position but wasn't at ease at all.

"I trained Reese at KMA, just like he trained you. He was my best lad and that's exactly what he used against me in getting this deal sanctioned from the HQ. Bloody poignant kid."
He chuckled.

I held back a snicker.
That's Beta for you. He says and even does it 'by hook or by crook.'

"He's my special boy, and so must be you to him. I can see why he pushed through everything to land you up here and I don't have a second meaning when I say I am proud of you two. Nobody dared to do what you guys have done. Nobody even thought about it. But-"
Suddenly his face became cold.

"-I am the commander of this place and I have to maintain a standard. I can not let my past affect my present. You'll understand this the day you are at a position like this. Reese knows that too, that's why he tried his best to make it impossible for me to kick you out on my authority. He played smart, and I'm equally pissed and proud of him."

He took a few deep breaths and continued.
"Major Norman is a good officer. He has earned his name in this Camp as both an agent and a trainer. He hates the second job but does it as a part of his duty. He was supposed to go back after his CT got over but had to stay back for you. I assume you know what that means?"
"Yes sir."

"Good. Because that's my bait through him. If you survive, I'll lose and my officer can not let it happen. So be ready to face worst from the best."
"I'm ready, sir."
I said and he looked at me intently.

"All the best, Son. I will wait for you to prove me wrong."
He said and I went back rigid.

Saluting him the last time today, I turned and left.

As soon as I came out, I found Norman waiting for me.
God this ice-face.

I stood in front of him and he looked at me looking for signs--whether I've decided to give up.
When he saw nothing but a hard headed nut, he got annoyed again.
Time to break my spine, I guess.

"Front rolls."
He said before I could blink thrice, hate dripping from his words.
I followed him towards his office.

Right at his door, he called 'up' and I behaved like a human again.

As I walked in and stood in front of him, he threw a folder on the table.

"You heard him. This is your last chance."
I knew what those papers were. I knew what was written on them. Word to word. I had read it a hundred times at KMA.

"Sit."
I looked up at him to ensure that the sound came from someone who doesn't like to see me walking on two feet.

"Sit and take a wise decision."
He repeated and I didn't know what to do. I had taken the decision and there's no going back now.

"Sir.. I.."
"Don't make me order you thrice."

I knew better than pissing him off so without wasting a single second, I sat on one of the seats.