31. Patootie

I felt so alive I could punch the bag non stop for hours straight!
Our sparring began as soon as we touched the mat. The adrenaline in my veins was only rising and I swear I saw Neil getting frustrated when he was unable to break my defence, forget placing a single good punch.

*****************

Neil had not stopped passing me glares since I beat him in the sparring. And I was loving every fucking moment of it.

"You were too slow."
I whispered sitting next to him while he ate his food quietly.

He just kept his mouth sealed because he knew nobody was going to back him if I decide to bully him.

He just thinned his eyes and hardened his glare. I couldn't help but laugh.

"What's up with you?"
Marks asked Neil and suddenly we had four pairs of eyes on us.

I turned to Neil and wiggled my eyebrows.
"You'll tell them or should I? Sir..?"

"I'll do the honours."
He snapped at me and turned to the boys.

"We're having a race. He's just boasting."
Neil said and I split my sides in laughter. Poor man, he thought he'll beat me and take his revenge.
Also, I had no guilt in feeling like a devil because hey, he took it on himself. I had no role!

"A race, sir? Haven't you seen him in his tests?"
Blundell spoke.
Smart man.

"That's what he's boasting. How about tomorrow, James?"
He turned to me feeling challenged.

I sighed.
"As you wish, sir. But what's on stake?"
"What?"

"We only place bets if something is at stake. That's what they teach us in KMA. So what should be at stake?"
I challenged him further, figuring out how deep a pit he was ready to dig for himself.

"24 hours with Instructor Charles."
He spoke after thinking for a few moments.

Blundell and Nelson sniggered loudly. Marks coughed into his fist. And Waldo sipped water. All of them hid their laugh but failed terribly. I just gleamed a snortle.

If Kelly was here, he would have stopped Neil. Too bad.

"Done. Tomorrow morning 0600 hours."
"Fine."
We goaded each other.

Before we could say another word, Kelly entered the mess and the tempo went down.
He looked dog tired already while he still had a few hours more to spend with Charles before he would get the break off.

He entered with half open eyes and cracked lips.
His Knuckles were cut in all depth possible and there was a fresh layer of dried blood over it. I'm sure he didn't have any good reason to wash it off.

He took his plate and the milk shake and came and stood next to me.
"May I, sir?"
He asked.

"Cut the formality, Kelly. Take a seat."
Marks spoke commandingly - being the senior most amongst us.
"Thank you sir."
He sat down grunting in pain.

"This is like that calm before the storm, right instructor Kelly?"
I teased him while I still could.

He'll soon be an instructor and god forbid if Charles decides to appoint him to guard our asses, we'll never be resting.

"I don't think I can live with so much hate and silent curses that an instructor gets."
He murmured making all of us laugh.

"You say this now. Twenty years from today, you'll scream at the boys like there's no tomorrow and they have to sweat it all out right at the moment! Instructor Charles's training will turn you into a robot if he continues with the current speed."
Neil said pulling his leg too.