23. Whites

"Reese, I'm giving your boy one chance."
General Warren spoke loudly looking at me.

I was hiding my excitement by thin hair.

Beta was on loud speaker.
"Really?!"
He exclaimed and I giggled at his response.

"You doubted your officer or me?"
Commander asked.

"I doubted myself, Sir. I had hoped that he'll earn it, but I wasn't sure that you'll give it to him. Still I pushed all of you. I didn't know if I was doing the right thing but hell yes! James did it!"
His words sounded like a music to my ears.
I enjoyed the little moment of victory.

"He didn't do it all alone, Reese. He made friends here who helped him."
Commander said peeking through his eyes and my gaze fell on the floor like a thief caught red handed.

"Friends?"
Beta asked.

"Yes. A group of youngster who want to make a separate team of their own because they don't want to work with the oldies."
Commander said and Beta laughed loudly.

"You made me prouder if that was even possible, James."
"What is that supposed to mean?"

"I sent him to break the clichés. He went one step further. I wanted young people to get into CCTC. He's going to be a part of young team. Brilliant!"
Beta continued to laugh.

"Are you are calling me and my men old, Reese?"
Commander warned and I stopped breathing.

"You want to hear a lie, sir?"
Beta stopped laughing but his tone was still amused.

"I'll see you the next time we meet. We'll find out who is old and who's young."
Commander had a little smile on his face though he sounded angry.

"I'm prepared. Shall I send some supplements for you, though?"
Beta you're beating it! Don't forget my ass still rests on his land!

"No. You need it more than me."
On his face!
Commander chuckled knowing his move just left Beta with a closed mouth.
There was no word spoken for next few moments.

"Okay Reese. James has been performing as a good cadet till now. I am yet to test him whether he deserves to stay here or leave. And no, you are not allowed to attend his tests."
"Sir please! He is my-"

"Exactly why you're not allowed. He's your lad. You forced me to keep him. Now you pay for it too. I'll only allow you to attend his results."
"Good reminder why a part of me hates you, sir. As you command. I won't attend his tests."

Both of them chuckle at those words.

Beta wished me luck before Warren cuts the call and I smiled happily. He is happy and proud. The endless tunnel finally showed some light.

"Don't take it for a single moment that you're in."
General Warren's harsh tone kicked me down.

"I'm giving you a chance because Neil and Instructor Charles have given me the best results in field. The members he picked up are beyond great and I personally want to see them working as a team. But you -"
He pointed at me before continuing.
"My thoughts about you haven't changed a bit and I still want you out at the earliest."

I bent my neck down.
"Yes sir."

"Neil has succeeded in turning the wheels in my brain twice but this time I know what I'm doing. I'm giving you just one chance to prove yourself, and that's it. You score less, you're out. I won't give it a second thought. Am I absolutely clear?"
He didn't falter and I knew he's more serious than ever.

"Yes sir."
I replied.

"I've got hundreds of calls from the HQ asking me why the fuck am I doing this. So don't think they're on your or Reese's side. You guys are alone - all on your own. Nobody expects or wants you to succeed. They are waiting for the day I announce termination of your trial period with a big 'No' on your report and they all can go back without any paperwork. They have no heart. So do I. You have one chance, James."
"I'll try my level best, sir. And I understand that I should not expect any help or favour from anyone."