43. Pack

Bullets were whistling over our heads while we dodged to save our brains from becoming popcorns.

"Now that we're going to meet in Hell, tell me what's up with your crazy family? Why are you here, saving your and our asses instead of parking them on your throne?"
I asked Neil who turned to me with a curious smile.

"Reason number one is because you are daring enough to swear on my family when we are literally two minutes away from death."
He said laughing curiously.

"One more minute. If I die without knowing, I'll haunt you."
I tried to use my chance.

He gave it thought.
Though we both knew that we'd most probably make it out alive.

"Thirty seconds!"
I gave him a false alarm.
Anything that makes him talk.

"Damn it, James! I have committed some horribly stupid mistakes that brought shame to people who matter to me. I couldn't sit on the throne because of that guilt. I had to leave. So I joined your army when your commander needed a proof of my kingdom's loyalty. I was banned from the kingdom because I took this decision against my father - my King's wish . That's why the doors to that place are closed for me until the king allows. I made silly choices regarding my future family and because of that, my present family had to bend their necks humiliated. So, I had to take an oath that I shall not marry anyone and raise a family of my own. There's absolutely no way I'm going back home alive till my king lets me. And there's no way I'm marrying someone just to see her die before I'm finished too. But that gives you no right to say anything about them, so keep your mouth in check next time."

He took a deep breath while I processed the information I just squeezed out.
"Congratulations, now you know that I'm stuck here for my own good. Now, for heaven's sake, get that bugger at your three! He is shooting like a boy trying to piss on a target - hitting everywhere but the target!"

It's funny how he was irritated at that man's poor shooting skills while calling ourselves targets.
I always write a letter before leaving for a mission and burn them after coming back alive. It is to make it easy for my parents by apologising for not listening to them when they told me not to join the forces.
This is the fucking reason why!
He calls us targets and gets annoyed when the shooter misses us!

I chuckled and without turning back, pointed my gun at the source of that sound. I pointed it to the ground.
That's in my soul.
Target.
If I wasn't a stupid Class-I agent in Prince Neil Fermin's team, I would have been a sniper. Ah what a life! Cool goggles, rooftop views, high tech guns with super focus..

"Shoot him dammit!"
Neil barked and I came out of my sweet dream.
Next moment my bullet was in his foot and there was no firing from his side.
He must have been on his knees tending to his wound when I placed a second bullet in his head.
He retired silently.

I smirked at Neil, never losing eye contact with him.
"Show off!"
He pushed me aside while crawling and crossing me.

"After you, Princess."
I mocked and his elbow was on my face without a moment's delay. I held my jaw tight.

"If not for this rain, you'd be hanging upside down doing shooting practice for hours."
He said without turning back.

That was a true warning.
I loved every moment with my weapons but not in such a scenario. And considering Neil, he'd ensure I don't hit a single target correctly.

"Sorry, sir."
I said laughing to myself and following him.

The mission has just started but I wanted it to end soon. I got a lot of leg pulling to do.

Firing had gone down enough for us to hear the moans of the captives.
Our team was really commendable.
Every person was talented and they fucking knew it and used it to save others' lives.