6. Odd One

It sucked.
It was just day 4 and it already sucked big time. I was so fucking sleepy and I still had an unaccounted two hour interval in my 24 hour reporting that's going to earn me four hours of hell if not less.

Norman is not going to let me die in peace. I knew he wanted me out, but I never thought he'll use inhuman tactics to make me give up.

"Evening Major Norman!"
Came a young man's voice from behind as I stood motionless.
It was definitely the same voice I heard on Day 1 - the one who helped me save time and dignity and reach this asshole at the correct moment.

"Evening, boy. Meet your twin."
Norman said sarcastically.

"Interesting..."
The new guy said and walked around me to face me.

"Introduce yourself Piglet."
Norman said and I wanted to break his teeth.
I wish I could tell him how much I hated those nicknames! But what's the point? He knows that already. That's why he gets on my nerves.

"Lieutenant James, officer under trial for Class-I, reporting sir."
"James Dwight. Hmm. Best passing out Cadet, right?"
The new guy asked me curiously.

"I don't remember telling you about him. How do you know that?"
Norman asked surprised.

Now this is interesting. He had barely met me for 5 seconds and he knows that already? And he knows my last name? Or did I say that out loud? Also, he didn't sound like trying to pinch me with that statement. It sounded more of an encouragement.

"Yes sir."
I said proudly, remembering Beta's face.

"That's good, James."
He said gladly then turned to Norman.

"Come on, Sir. A talented boy like him - one that Colonel Reese picked up and parcelled here - it's a news, isn't it?"

I've never felt this good since the day Beta patted on my shoulder. Seems like an year ago, while it barely was a week back.

Norman gave in and replied irritated.
"This boy won't give up and leave my tail. You are a mind fucker. Explain to him what is he in for, if he stays."

"I don't guarantee. But I'll try. Rest is upto him."
He still looked at me curiously. Norman's words were supposed to scare me and this man was supposed to say something to make it worse. But it didn't.

"I hope we're not pulled in your job. I'd like to finish my first CT peacefully. As such most of you don't want me here."
Is he for real?
How could one dare to say this on this jerk's face?

This man has got to be something! He looks so young, must be of my age, may be a few years older but not much. And he's here for his CT, that means he became an agent atleast 1 year ago. How is that even possible? I'm the first case ever to be allowed, or given a chance to undergo this Class-I training without an experience.
Things don't click.

"Frankly speaking, even I never wanted you around. But you proved yourself four times. So I guess, I don't mind you here. As for the rest, don't care as long as commander doesn't want to kick you out. Well anyways you aren't going anywhere for next three years. I'm still surprised they got you posted here right after sending you to four missions straight."

4 times?!
He's been on four successful missions!
Has he been an agent since he was a kid?

"Then why do you think this boy won't prove you wrong, too?"
Norman and I looked at him with disbelief.

Nobody, absolutely fucking nobody, said such a confident statement about me ever in my life - not even me myself.

"You are supposed to wash his brain, not paint it. Get on the job."
Norman got up and I went straight.