52. The Finale

"I'm the court. And this is my decision. Fermins stick to their words so don't make me remind you of this ever again."
Commander said pulling Neil's statement back, tore it into pieces and threw it all in the dustbin.

************************************

"You'll serve as Head Chef at KMA till your retirement age. Based on your yearly feedback reports, it will be decided whether you deserve to be free at the end or not. KMA's commander will be your commander too and you will follow every order he passes to you, be whatever restriction or freedom."
General Warren warned Neil.

"That's worse than Jail!"
Neil said and General looked at me smirking.
"You know him too well, Major."

"He will do it, sir."
I said on Neil's behalf earning a murderous look from him. We were in no state to negotiate here.

"One more thing, Neil. You are no more a part of this organisation. You'll work as a civil employee with no favour from your past image. Your dedication to the service will be respected till your last mission. But you shall never take name of the reputed officer who worked for this country selflessly."

Neil's head was bent low now.
Dan was losing his mind with every word Commander spoke, but he had no option but to listen him.

"You will report to Culinary School and work there for six months. Learn all that you can, which I'm sure you will, then report at KMA for taking up the job. Remember, one bad review from the commander of KMA, and you'll be stuck there. So take your job seriously, and pay for your mistake."

I was stunned as to how fluently General filled all the gaps.

"I want to make a request, sir."
Neil spoke after taking a deep breath.
Oh now he wants to talk?

"Last time, major."
"I've been Loyal to this organisation all these years. This one particular person I killed - I had waited to do that for years, but never even once I planned to stab your back. I'm sorry to break your trust. Major Neil was ever loyal to you. Please don't break the deal with the Fermins because of my act. They need your armed support and you need their location. I won't be able to forgive myself if that deal is broken. I had kept this for the moment they ask for my last wish. But as I can see it's not happening soon.."

Commander thought for a few moments and then spoke "I was very angry at you, Neil. I wanted to strip off your ranks, rip off all the Medals on it and push you behind bars myself. But I realised your cause is more important than your life. You've always been a disciplined officer and a good leader, you've led so many impossible missions and came out with no casualty. I'm yet to believe that you screwed up this one. I want to help you, but not at the cost of letting you continue as a Class-I. Fine I'll consider your request. This is the maximum I can do for you, credit goes to your partner. But now you'll live a different life. I don't want any Cadet or any officer to look at you and think that it is okay to do whatever Major Neil did. I don't want them to think that they'll be let free just like you if they don't follow orders."

There was complete silence for a few seconds.
Commander then broke the silence "Think of a different name, Chef. You are no more Neil Fermin."

I was stunned and so were the other two men.
"Sir?"
Neil asked.

"You heard me. People know what Neil did. I don't want them to look at you and say 'Oh. So it was you?' Get yourself a new name and go out from this place with your dignity intact, in your head. Become unidentifiable to everyone who knows you, in next six months. I want Neil's face to disappear from this earth for ever. Dismissed."
Neil was not in uniform. Yet he saluted commander - this might be the last time he ever salutes anyone.
Turning around, he left with moist eyes.