50. Roll Down

"Under no circumstances should he escape."
"Yes sir."
The whole team replied to the commander strongly in unison.

And we won't let that happen too. We have waited for so many months to catch this man. We can't afford to let him run away.

"And under no circumstances should Zahra die. I want him caught, and I want him alive. Dismissed. Get him to me."
We were out the very next moment.

"All these months of planning and finally we got one track that will take us to him. We can't afford to screw this one. Don't ask me to lead. You take charge."
I told Neil, requested him rather.

All missions in past three years were led by me courtesy Neil who was the second in command. By now I have got the confidence to lead these men and keep them safe.
But I didn't want to risk this mission at any cost. Commander, Neil and other secret Agents have worked their asses off for nearly an year to finally track Zahra down. If anyone deserves to lead the team and throw him at Commander's feet, it's him.

"Wasn't planning to."
He replied in a cold tone he had been using a little more off lately, and walked away.
Something was bothering him and I couldn't find out why. Today he sounded colder than usual.

The fact that everytime we were this close to catching Zahra, he'd disappear in thin air must have irritated Neil so much that he's restless and eager to hold him. So was I.
Whatever it be, he's not running away tomorrow.

************************************

"Twenty eight and counting."
I heard Nelson on my earphone.

"Damn he calls it a small base? What's a big base then?"
I replied.

"Come on boys we've handled this number before too."
Neil scoffed into his microphone.

"Yeah. But not with the kind of guns these men have! What technology is he using? I've never seen this model before!"
Nelson said continuing the head count of enemies we were about to attack.

"It's LZF46. The most modern rifle in the world. Quicker, quieter and sturdier than any other. But costs a fortune."
Neil stated.

"Where's he earning so much money from?"
Waldo asked.

"He isn't. He stole them."
Neil answered and I stopped looking around for a moment.

"Where did he steal these weapons from?"
Marks asked.
There was no answer given by anyone.
I was expecting Neil to say something but he didn't. My guts twisted but I cared about the number of men with weapons more than the source of their weapons.

"There's movement at your 6, Chief."
That was for Neil however all of us got ready for action.

Nothing happened for a few minutes.
Then suddenly a lot happened.

"Sparrows! Zahra is fleeing. I can see him. I'm going after him rightaway. You guys tackle his men. James take charge. All the best."
Neil said hurriedly.

"But chief-"
"Neil what the hell are you doing?"
"Why are you ditching us here dammit?"

We didn't get any response from him.
What we got instead was raining of bullets.
Screw my head!
They found us.

I had no time to wait for Neil to return. So I took charge as told.
"Nelson stay up and keep updating the positions. Cover anyone who gets closer to enemy than our range. Waldo and Marks - team up, head west and start clearing these men. Kelly and Blundell stay on Neil's track and save his back. Garry and I will move north to the main location. And Charles you need to-"