7. A Ray Called Hope

I was about to blurt out 'Major Neil', but I changed my decision at the last moment.
And guess what, my knuckles got lucky.

"Captain Neil Fermin, Sir."

Fucker knew normal Pushups won't hurt since his name is short. One armed definitely did!
And knuckle jumps would have stung like a bitch.

It's so difficult to guess names and ranks when others are not in uniform.

But the main point noted - whoever this guy is, he knows bloody everything. And, he can hear my thoughts.
So, James, one lesson - don't start a conversation in your mind that you can't tell him.

"Up."
I got up and stood straight.

"Rub your shoulders. Comeon, stretch your arms."
He ordered and I wanted to kiss his feet.
I did as told and immediately felt better.

"Thank you, sir."
"You are welcome. Next question?"

"How are you an agent at such a young age, sir?"
"If I'm not wrong, they don't see your age. They count your years of experience topped with the performance in their test. I have three years of service in the army already, and I cleared the test with decent margin. So, I'm here."
He said spreading his arms.

3 years already?

"Umm.. Three..?"
"I'm was special case. Just like you."

"How old are you?"
"2 years elder than you."
He said laughing and turning it into a quiz.

My brain was storming doing all the calculations when he said "I was enrolled into army and started my training much earlier than you. And yes it all happened against the age rule."
He whispered the last part, putting a finger on his lips.

I understood I'm supposed to stay shut.
I nodded a confused yes.

"How...?"
I couldn't help myself from speaking.

"That's a story for some other day."
"I hope I'm here till that day."
I whined.

"Why not? Why do you think you can't do this?"
"They want me out at any cost. Nobody here wants to see me."
I said looking down.

"Is that a reason good enough to crush the hopes of that one person who trusted you and sent you here, fighting against the same people?"
I looked up into his bright eyes.

"You think I got showered with love, the day I stepped here? No. You atleast have a godfather. I had no one. I had to prove myself - before my test, during the test, and even today. Had I failed in a single mission and come back alive, they'd peel me layer by layer. People hate change, they want the system to remain same. They have their valid reasons. But if someone has the guts to prove them wrong, he should do it looking into their eyes, regardless of how much hate he gets in return. Because that's what earns you respect."
He said in the same royal tone and I wanted him to just go on.

"So you want me to try?"
"Try? I want you to pass the test and come to missions with me."

Missions?
"I'm under trail period of 50 days. If they think I'm worthy enough, then only I'll appear for the test. And even if I appear, I have barely any experience to get those marks!"
I really argued.

"I don't care about all that. You do anything, think anything, motivate yourself anyhow, I want you to clear this trial."
"Can you help me in this?"

"If you think that I'll help you by going easy on you when my turn of trial comes, then you are mistaken. I'll make you go through the hardest times. Keep in mind."
I gulped at his warning, and I knew he was not lying because it was all over his face.