16. Ashes

"Pick it up."
Norman said and I looked at him with popping eyes.

"I don't smoke, sir."
I said instead of taking that cigarette in my hand.

"I don't think he asked you anything. He ordered you to do it, no questions."
Neil said coming towards us.

I looked at him with begging eyes and he looked back at me sternly.

I gulped down and his 'I want every bit of your trust' rang in my ears.

I looked down again and back up at Neil with a pinch of hope.

"That's it. Hundred Diamonds. Quick."
He said in his rarely annoyed tone.

I dropped down and started pushing.
He has been repeatedly attacking my shoulders and arms and they have been in a constant state of pain.

"Hundred Diamond Pushups completed, sir."
"Those were not quick. Again. Quick."

How can he be so heartless?

I started going all over again, this time faster than the previous set.
Two hundred Pushups back to back with cramped up arms - he really is angry at me.

"Hundred Diamond Pushups completed, sir."
"You call this quick?"
Neil asked me and my heart fell on the floor.

I can't do any better than this. Another hundred will never finish.

"What do you think, sir?"
Neil asked Norman and my hands started shaking. I knew that bastard is going to make me suffer more.

"Get up."
Norman said to my surprise and I pulled myself up. I was panting and it was obvious to both of them.

"Now will you pick it up or do you need him to repeat?"
Neil asked me without a crack in his tone.

"Yes sir."
I didn't waste a single second and lifted the cigarette up. Anything to avoid Neil's merciless wrath.

"Slide that end between your index and middle finger. Put that end on your lips and stop breathing from your nose. Don't breathe through your mouth either. Hold up."
Neil guided me about how to smoke a cigarette. I suddenly hated him more than ever.

But the hate slowly turned into torment because I was standing without breathing.
My hands were near my lips holding the cigarette and my lips were sealed.
I needed oxygen!
I felt pathetic.

Neil looked at me with an eyebrow raised.
We were having a conversation Norman never heard.

* I've taught you to hold it for long. Don't dare disappoint me.

- But that was underwater!

* You want me to give you a separate on-ground session? Because I can totally arrange that.

- Negative. I'll hold my breath till you say.

* Better.

When I couldn't hold anymore, Neil brought a lighter and lit it next to the other end.

"Breathe through this. Any other air goes in, and I'm going to punch that air out. Two breaths before you take this off your lips."
His warning was clear.

I had no option of breaking the seal my lips had formed around the cigarette and I was in dire need of oxygen.

I did what he ordered once and felt my lungs set on fire. I swallowed what I felt like soot and held my breath because I knew if I exhale now, I'll cough till I die.

After holding for a few seconds, I exhaled slowly. The burn in my throat was unbearable.

I looked at Neil pleading him to let me take normal 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen and spare me this carbon. His looks hardened and he nodded towards the cigarette. He was still holding the lighter very close.