Chapter 58 - Shattered Utopia

The cold touched his bones, even in the extra layers of clothes.

Ink redirected his attention to the large circle around the bonfire. Error was beside him, sipping away the hot soup. Cross was beside Ink hands outstretched towards the warmth provided by the fire. The circle consisted of the generals and the Royals but the other soldiers were situated to eat with their comrades in the other circles.

The chatters from other men drowned their presence quite easily and he was glad for it. Some eyed him quite suspiciously because of how casual he addressed someone above him like calling Error by his name or even Fresh in one occasion. He looked at Error in time to see him gazing and he gave a grin.

"Take a picture it will last longer." Ink teased.

Error snorted with a roll of his eye lights. "Why? I got the movable, life-size version right here."

"Yeah and you'll never find someone as annoying as me."

The silence ruled before Error interrupted it with another poorly-hidden laugh. Ink grinned, leaning over and asking, "What's got you giggling, Glitchy?"

"You looked smaller with those layer of clothes, Shorty." Error whispered back.

It's actually true now that he mentioned it. Ink only wore it after they set-up a tent as the midnight came and the cold gotten worse. Ink replaced his previous one with a long-sleeved white dress shirt tucked in black loose-pants that allow free mobility. He retained his shoes and both of them insisted on less armor not because they were confident but they needed speed and it was better if there was nothing metal weighing them down. A thick brown coat with fluffy hood wrapped around him and Error's scarf tied around his neck. A black fingerless gloves clung on his hands.

The thickness really did make him smaller.

"You like me that way." Ink sputtered back even in a blushing state.

Fresh had announced his early slumber to the group. The generals all stood up to help ang get the soldiers in their place. Lust had jogged up to Cross and pulled him with Horror to their shared tent. The two Guardians were left on their own, facing the fire. Ink looked up and could see stars twinkling. It reminded him of the Orb and he uncocsciously squeezed said object hidden in one of the deep pockets of his coat.

"One more day before we make everything right." Error said as he gave a look at the stars, slightly imagining he was in Outertale.

Ink hummed in approval and they contentedly soaked up the silence of reminiscing. This journey was one hell of a ride. They can't afford to mess up no matter what in Akayden. Their world was counting on them to make things right.

"I still can't believe how much has... changed." The artist muttered, his brows furrowing, trying to find the words.

"Miracles of being stuck together, I guess." Error said. "Realized how much of a dumbass we were to each other."

"Facts..." Ink said with a grin.

The voices began to die down as the tents were set and patrol was established around the site. The fire started to die down as the flame slowly ate the last of the woods. It's almost time. He was nervous for what was to come yet excited to go home and fix his stupidity.

"Would they... understand?" Ink hesitantly asked.

"Of course they would. We never meant for this to happen, after all." Error agreed.