Chapter 41 - Winter Ball

"Help!"

The voice echoed ever so loudly.

"What's happening?"

His vision blurring then focusing as he lifted his gaze to the crowd of gathered monsters.

"Why is everything turning white?!"

He could feel their panic and fear.

"Anybody!"

His whole body ached as if it was burned on fire; His bones creaked like old metal levers and machineries; His skull throbbing painfully as he kept staring at them.

"Someone please..."

He have to help them.

"Frisk, here child. Don't leave, stay here; It's okay."

He can't move. Let him act.
Let him help. Let him try.

The white swallowed every obejct it came across like tsunami. Then sooner it was engulfing the people and everything turned to nothing. He tried to call out for anyone for any signs of life.

But nobody came.

---:---

Gasping for breath, he sat up. Ink looked at his hands sweaty and trembling like his whole body. The images ran through his mind quickly while he just stared blankly. He lookee at his hands as if it hold the answers but when he got none, he decided to go downstairs.

"Oh, you're awake..." Dream commented as he spot Ink descending the stairs. "What's wrong?"

Ink frowned and mumbled, "A nightmare..."

"I see." Dream briefly commented as he dragged the other to the couch. "It's okay, you can stay here until you calm down."

"Why... are you awake?" Ink asked as he stared absentmindedly to the picture hang by the wall across him.

"I have to try maintain peace on other universes even if it wasn't my job." He could here the cupboards open and close and the spoon tinkling after connecting to the mug. "There is something wrong and every now and then, Nightmare and the others have to destroy an AU." Dream poured the warm water to the mug, the steam bringing comfort at the cold temperature. He stirred the contents then walked back to the living room to see Ink clutching his shirt while trembling.

"It's not their time to go." Ink said as if he knew that Nightmare destroyed a random one. Dream was staring at him with surprise.

"We don't know which one to destroy... but if we don't do something, then the whole Balance will crumble."

"I can hear them cry. I can hear them... I don't know why but I do."

Dream couldn't help to stare for a while longer before smiling. "It's going to be fine, you'll be fine, I promise. How about this? You can stay here at the couch and I'll watch over you so you won't get bad dreams."

There was a small hesitation before Ink nodded and settled down after finishing the warm drink. He looked at the positive skeleton before slowly closing his eye sockets.

Dream watched the rise and fall of the other's chest as it revert to a soothing rhythm. He stayed for a little longer before standing up and leaving.