Chapter 16 - The King and His Servants

'I can't believe you betrayed me.'

Meanwhile, in the middle of the night, two figures walk across the halls.

Dream rolled his eye lights at the other's dramatic accusation. "I am merely here to deliver you to my brother."

Dream tugged on the other's shackles to get him to move. The shackles weren't needed if Martial just followed him peacefully. The kid kept hiding from him the whole day. Dream even went far to order each tower guards to not let the boy in. He told them that it was the King's orders just to get them obey. He caught the boy running away from his own tower and Dream apprehended him by the snowy courtyard when Martial tried to bury himself. He seriously wanted to know if this was even a soldier of many potential.

'You only wanted an excuse to laugh at me.'

"Brother requested your presence earlier and yet you are not there."

'I do not wish to meet my impending punishment so early.'

They stopped infront a closed door. Dream knocked with one hand and waited. He heard a muffled 'Come in' before he opened the door.

"Greetings, Your Highness."

Sitting on a chair behind the table was a skeleton covered in black goop. One blue eye light scanned the two visitors. Once his gaze landed at Martial, who was hiding behind Dream as if it could do anything, he set down his work and laced his fingers together and rested his chin on top.

"I see you've found my successor."

Dream unlocked the shackles and stepped away to reveal the other who was looking anywhere but Nightmare. He knew that the other was amused to see him getting punishments.

"Why don't you come here and explain yourself, young man?" The threat under his voice was visible.

Martial dragged himself infront of the table then looked at Dream then to Nightmare and back to the wall.

'I... snuck out the castle to... witness the Festival Dance.'

"Because...?" Nightmare trailed.

'You forbidden me from leaving these walls!' Martial threw his arms out after he signed.

Nightmare leaned back on his chair instead as he briefly glance at the pitch black sky.

"Assassinations and rumors were never far when you are outside."

Dream and Martial understood what the King meant. No one knows outside the castle walls who Nightmare's successor is. Rumors spread fast and it will be no surprise if other kingdoms thought Martial's the successor. If that was the case, rumors or not, assassinations were planned here and there. Dream knew Martial understood the point but being the insistent kid, the other won't back down easily.

'I grew up in a military camp. I could protect myself.'

Dream hid the chuckle as he recalled how he found the other. A child who grew up from a military camp. Who has experience hiding from enemies, was found by Dream earlier burying himself so obviously under the courtyard snow. He wasn't surprise though. In the battle field, he could hide all he want to preserve his life but here? He bet that Martial was half-heartedly trying to hide. He was going to be punished anyway.

"But you are fully aware that I forbid it."

'You're not my father.'

"I am now."